Do I eat more calories to gain muscle?

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Nov 15, 2013 10:48pm
via Android

I'm not quite ready yet, but when I'm trying to tone up and gain muscle, do I eat enough calories to maintain my weight, or do I eat even more?

19 Nov
Do your own research...I've read that u need carbs(fruits n veggies) n fats that are healthy(ex. Avocado nuts n oils like olive) along w/ proteins. There are many YouTube meal examples too.
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Nov 15, 2013 10:59pm
via Android

You have to eat more protein

15 Nov
When I consume it, do I stay within my regular calories?
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Nov 15, 2013 11:38pm
via Android

Ah, there are a few different opinions on this and some people will say it's impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit. Some people will talk about bulking and cutting. You don't need to do that.

You're gonna need to eat a bit more, especially protein, yes.  For the kind of results you probably want, you probably don't have to worry too much about eating all that much more to gain. 

I Recently googled "gain muscle on a calorie deficit" and read a couple things that popped up....very interesting ideas, there's a lot of conflicting ideas in the industry...

But basically if you're not a competitive bodybuilder, don't really worry about all that... just make sure your calories aren't too low, maybe get to body maintenance calories, or within 10%...listen to your body....and try to eat almost a gram of protein per pound of your bodyweight per day, especially on days you lift.

16 Nov
Okay great! Thank you!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51