Intermittent Fasting (IF) - Fasting for 16 hrs every day

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 12:53pm

After struggling to keep the weight off for years, I now fast for 16 hrs a day 5 days a week. Everyone is different. This is just what works for me, and it works really well!

Sounds nuts hey? Once I got used to it, I found it really, really easy. Basically I skip breakfast through the week. Here's what I do...

I eat a Low Carb/High Fat (LCHF) diet. Fairly strict through the week, and let loose on the weekends. Eat as much natural fats and oils as possible, with unlimited vegetables and a moderate amount of fruits. Consume no processed garbage - nothing out of a box, nothing made in a factory. So that's no potato chips, and no soft drink! Try to avaoid eating any numbers (preservatives). You'll be amazed how hard it is to find food with no numbers in it!

Start first thing upon rising in the morning is to drink a big glass of water (600 ml) followed by a long black coffee. The water will fill you up, and the coffee is an appetite suppresant with only a couple of calories. It's amazing that I don't even slightly feel hungry until after 1pm following this routine! I'll usually have a second cup of black coffee mid-morning.

First meal of the day is at midday and is a normal sized meal with meat and vegetables. It's low card, so no rice, pasta of root vegetables like potatoes. After that, I have a snack of fruit and nuts in the afternoon. Then I'll have another meat and veg meal for dinner. Sometimes I have full-fat Greek youhurt with full-fat cream and sultanas on top - yum!

Carbohydrates are not satiating - which is why you can eat a whole packet of potato chips and still be hungy. Protein however, is satiating. Eat a couple of hundred grams of meat, and you'll fill up pretty quickly!

Last bite to eat is always 8pm at the lastest. The body goes into ketosis once food intake has been converted to energy. These guys are the experts: www.leangains.com and Brad Pilon at Eat Stop Eat. There's some great information here if you can navigate the bro science.

I usually do some High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) in the morning, followed by 10 mins of meditation and then a swim in the ocean. When I exercise I want to finish on the floor gasping for air and covered in sweat at the end of 20 mins. If you're not feeling like this, you won't get the best results. I don't do weights anymore. I don't feel like I need to. I'm happy, healthy and am no longer lethargic. Just loving life really...

Obviously fasting isn't for everyone. When I first started I got a few mild headaches, and was slighly irritable. For me now, it's sooo easy to do this through the week. This allows me to have refeed days on the weekend where I (can) eat fairly dirty. I usually have beer or two through the week, and a few more on the weekends!

I think most diets probably work for some people to a certain degree. The trick is finding something that works for you, that you can maintain long term without too much discomfort. I've been using this system for about 2 years now and have stayed about 22 kgs below my peak weight.

Enjoy!

Ps - As long at you're exercising vigourously, eat everything that's naturally full-fat, and eat a lot of it i.e. - cream, milk, cheese, olive oil, butter, eggs, bacon, etc...

25 Nov
I could do the let loose part hahaha
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 3:23pm
via iOS
This sounds hard, I don't think I can manage 16hours without food hahah. Might worth a try though!
Image_thumb
226 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 4:13pm
via iOS
I just started doing IF. I have seen no results yet, but I have ceased even being hungry in the mornings. It is very convenient, too, because I do not have to eat breakfast before classes every morning.
26 Nov
Stick at it Ariana. If you limit the carbs and don't eat anything after 8pm you'll start to strip down fairly quickly. Of course, you'll get the best results when you increase the intensity of your training. I usually train so hard that I'm literally on the floor covered in sweat and gasping for breath after 10 mins.
Image_thumb
397 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 5:20pm
via iOS
Your only going to get so ripped and lean without some type of weight lifting and i dont even mean the basic lifts like bench, squat, and dead . You can at least do some of the circults they have on here with dumbbells unless you can do bodyweight exercises like muscle ups, human flag, pistol squats and etc.
26 Nov
Yeah true, but I'm happy being ripped and lean... I was doing heavy squats and dead lifts which was building some solid muscle, but the wear and tear on my old joints just wasn't worth it. Much easier staying a little leaner. And, I can wear anything straight off the rack!
Image_thumb
482 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 5:57pm
via Android

: ) basically this is a very clean diet with a different method of doing it it reminds of all the different training methods used in weight lifting (whn i say diet i am not referring to crash diets tht lose weight )

26 Nov
It works for me Hannah. It gives me the opportunity to have a little fun on the weekend with friends too! Skipping breaky really keeps the kg's off for me...
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 8:22pm
via Android

Have your metabolism slowed down after you started IF? What about your muscle tissues? Have you lost some pounds of muscles? I have tried the Warrior diet which is very simmilar to the IF but I felt a little tired with less energy level during my regular activities. As you said everyone require different diet approach. Im a little affraid that I could lost some muscle tissues during the fasting periods.

26 Nov
Kamil, my metabolism has probably sped up a little if anything. I have lost a little muscle for sure, but having being on the heavy side for 15 years, it's a welcome change to be a bit lighter. I could fairly easliy put on some muscle if I wanted to (with a bit of effort and commitment obviously!) I'd just eat some more meat, vege's and eggs, and do some weights or resistance training.
26 Nov
Thank you, it helped me a lot. Today is my first IF day and I fell great.
Image_thumb
170 Posts
Nov 25, 2013 9:28pm
via Android

I used to do this but I fasted 23hrs a day everyday in a week for 4month it's great and it's good to reduce ur body fat , gd to go my friend :)

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Nov 28, 2013 8:01pm
via Android

I am fasting 16 hours for 3 days now and I feel amazingly. I even feel more powerful when i do weight training and other sports. I look forward to the other benefits of IF. Thank you guys.

29 Nov
Good work Kamil! Keep track of your weight and body fat percentage, and of course strength.
Image_thumb
60 Posts
Jan 20, 2014 12:18am
via Android

I've been doing it for two weeks and mostly drinking water but I also drink two cups of either green tea or coffee with coconut milk and coconut oil and drinking water or eat fruit or veggies with Apple Cider Vinegar mid day after that I drink water whenever I feel hungry then at 6pm I eat dinner (I'm starting to eat fish more now so I can raise iron in my blood).
I lost 7 pounds so far

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Feb 13, 2014 7:52am

That´s awesome, Nigel!

We did watch about IF at the German TV two weeks ago.

My wife did start to eat low carbs and did loose 3 KG in one week - but in the second only 200 g... But she isn´t fasting 16 hours at all....

I´m hasitating although it could be healthy for me, too :-)

I´ll have a look at all of your links :-)

Thanks for sharing your story!

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Feb 13, 2014 6:18pm
via Android

I think I'm going to try this out but I'm scared lol

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 26, 2015 4:31am
via Android

I am starting this tomorrow

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51