Peanut butter

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
64 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 3:34am
via Android

Ok so I love jif. And I know that just because it's peanut butter doesn't mean it's healthy for you. So what kind of peanut butter would you recommend? Preferably something that tastes like jif
(Btw jif natural isn't any better than regular jif, nutritionally, in fact I think it's worse.)
Trying to make healthier choices :)

18 Jan
Almond butter is much more healthier and it has a lot more nutrients,so check it out and compare them
18 Jan
18 Jan
Agreed. Almond butter is delicious! :)
Image_thumb
145 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 4:52am
via Android

I like Planter's natural peanut butter. It has the basic ingredients so I feel like it's just what I need. It's delicious!

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 5:49am
via Android

Oh man I love peanut butter but the fact is that the reason we love it is cuz it's full of those things that are scientifically designed to be unnaturally delicious. Hydrogenated oils, refined sugar. It's just terrible.

There is no real alternative. You can try all-natural but it takes some getting used to. Almond butter is delicious but also not the same. All-natural nut butters are kind of "dry." These days I'm trying "pb2" in smoothies and sauces. It's powdered natural peanut butter.

My method these days is to just look at conventional peanut butter as a treat, a dessert, not a food. I won't give it up completely but I can change how i think of it. It definitely is not a food, we've been lied to by the people who want our money.

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 6:52am

so your post sparked my curiousity....just how bad is Jif vs natural 'peanuts and salt' type peanut butters? Funny thing is, it's about the same. per serving, you're pretty much gonna get 16gm fat and 7 gm protein. You get either 1 gm or 3 gm / serving in sugar (yes, jif has 3 gms, but, i'm surprised it wasn't more!). so a couple thoughts for you - 1. maybe in moderation it's not so bad. all peanut butter is high in fat, but largely unsaturated fat and it delivers a nice shot of veggie protein. so i'd think the key is whether are you eating 1 tablespoon, or 5? clearly there's a huge difference. 2. You can try a really dramatically different approach, like PB2 as others have suggested. I have some and haven't loved it. BUT, i haven' tried it in smoothies, so thanks for the idea, i will give that a try! (If you don't know it, PB2 is basically peanut butter with the fat pressed out and then dehydrated. it's a powder you mix with water and presto, you get instant peanut butter that frankly tastes surprisingly close to real peanut butter.) In the meantime, i take just a tablespoon or 2 of regualar peanut butter and eat it with apples. yum!

Image_thumb
20 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 11:41am
via Android

I love eggs and herbs for accelerating muscle growth

19 Jan
I eat a lot of eggs!
Image_thumb
42 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 12:41pm
via Android

I love peanut butter too(jif rules!)  I eat it almost every day. I'm just very careful about my portions, like only a tbls or two a day.

19 Jan
I don't eat a lot of it but I heard it was a healthy snack option. I would eat out with celery or on toast. But not sure about the healthy part of it now lol
19 Jan
I think it's healthy, I've been losing weight :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51