Vegetarian diet when trying to gain muscle

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 1:08pm
via iOS
Hello there, I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years now, and that's something that will never change. I was just wondering what vegetarian body builders or people aiming to increase muscle size eat in their diet to replace things such as protein, lost from this lifestyle? Snacks, meal size, what protein shakes are best, what your meals consist of and how often etc Many thanks in advance,
-Han :)
18 Jan
I had an ex who was vegetarian, and I remember looking up a chart of all the nuts and beans that had the highest amounts of protein, I think soy beans was one of the highest, try a bunch of edamame it can't hurt and it's delicious ;-)
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 1:12pm
via iOS
I am also a vegetarian I use beans and rice combined there a complete protein.
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 5:46pm
via Android

I haven't been vegetarian for years but I do like the vegetarian protein shake/powder options out there. Lately I use sun warrior raw vegan mixed with spirutein chocolate.

I just made seitan again recently and it's easy/fun to make.

Image_thumb
96 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 10:11pm
via Android

I'm Vegetarian also, just try to variat your food.. eggs, nuts and do you eat vegetarian 'meat'? Helps a lot :-)

Image_thumb
133 Posts
Jan 18, 2014 10:13pm
via Android

Hemp has a lot of protein

19 Jan
Yeah I use nutiva hemp protein and mix it with yogurt or in my greener smoothies. it's good
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Jan 19, 2014 7:08am

Hi Han. 

I'm  lacto ovo veg and if you want to put on muscle mass, you don't 'replace protein' you just get it from plant sources. Like anyone building mass, you will need to eat more protein than usual while you build muscle. In short you will build muscle like anyone else, you will just use different fuel to get there. There are good veg protein powders. I'm using rice protein, pure green protein and soy in rotation. But these are just for topping up. I try to get most protein through food. Eggs, lentils/beans, nuts, tofu and Seitan, peas etc. All are good sources and when I'm training hard, boy do I really eat nuts...i freakin crave them. So I eat them and don't worry about fat. And yes my body asks for 4 or 5 smaller meals...so that's what I give it. Good luck!

Image_thumb
38 Posts
Jan 20, 2014 1:25am
via Android

You need to look for "frank modrano" diet on google

Image_thumb
35 Posts
Jan 20, 2014 1:50am
via Android

You can get alot of soy bean products that have been converted into protien shakes. They also have soy whey powder. You have eggs as long as your not vegan. Alot of legumes, tofu, spinach also are a good source of protien. You also have spirilina which is protien rich.

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Apr 30, 2014 7:41am
via Android

Hello Hannah, being vegetarian should never be a problem. You can gain most of your protein from whey products, eggs, nuts, beans, etc. However if you are vegan then this poses a few extra challenges but again it's not impossible, I am closely aligned to a health and wellness company that can supply your needs for both vegetarian and vegan, depending on what part of the world you live in. I also know competing female bikini/figure models that are vegan, happy to try and help you if your interested. Regards Col    

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51