HELP: Need Muscle; got belly fat

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 30, 2014 7:45pm
via Android

I need expert advise but everyone is welcome to help me. I am 16 male and weigh 50kg. I do an hour of workout most days for my abs as i want a six pack as i have a bit of belly fat.

I eat well i think: less saturated fats, less bad sugars and eat a lot of fruit and veg, bit of meat, 2 eggs every day and 3 to 4 to 5 times a day. Maybe im lacking protein? I think i consume about 2200 calories a day.

I also want muscle and look a bit bigger as my dad said i should stop excercising to gain a bit more weight.

So what should i do? Eat more? Excercise less? Something completely different?

If some people could share their advise, i would be truly greatful!

30 Jan
Get protein shakes for throughout the day and lift heavy weights will build mass.
1086696_100001907643975_670712906_n_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 30, 2014 9:18pm
via Android

Drop the fruit
Keep the veg
Plenty of meat and fish

Training:
Do interval training. Try running 1km at about 80%, take 2-5mins rest and hit 1km again for about 10km.

Also weights. Hitting between 8 and 12 reps - 4 sets, 90 seconds between reps.

Should shift the belly fat in no time.

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 30, 2014 10:02pm
via Android

Thanks. Yeah i am planning to do quite a bit of runnin on the weekend.

And In weights, do you suggest any routine?
Also any suggestion on my calorie intake? Im 5 ft 6.

5 Posts
Jan 31, 2014 1:14pm
via Android

It's all down to preference really what works for me is...

Back/Bi's
Chest/Tri's
Shoulders/forearms
Legs

Then Abs every other day.

Are you training for something in particular or just want to 'get shredded'?

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 31, 2014 2:05pm
via Android

Get bigger and ripped really. Maybe eat more?

31 Jan
Definitely more protein. As someone said earlier drink protein shakes also I know a few guys who use creatine to build muscle but you have to lift weights with it or it will just make you fat. Good luck!
31 Jan
Okay thank you. I thought protein might be the problem but i do have quite alot. Also i go 'ham' on fruit so tighten that down a bit as well. Gonna buy some protein shakes again.
5 Posts
Jan 31, 2014 3:44pm
via Android

Carbs are essential for muscle growth too. Plenty of brown rice, whole meal pasta, veg - I generally try and get a decent protein in the morning with 6 scrammbled eggs.

Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 9:03am
via iOS
Check the topic I started called "so you have belly fat and you want abs"
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 11:51am
via Android

50kg for a 16 year old ? You should be around 60-70kg

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 12:01pm
via Android

I checked my bmi and its in the lower end of healthy. Im 5 ft 6 so... thats why im trying to get bigger

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 2:16pm
via Android

BMI is a rough calculation using your height and weight. Unfortunately the BMI does not take into consideration fat mass vs. muscle mass. It is a better tracking tool for obese adults that got extrapolated to children. What is considered normal changes by age for teens. Your BMI 17.8 for a 16 yr old male is on the cusp of being underweight. Your percent body fat is probably less than you think, considering your workout schedule. The other thing to consider is at 16yrs old male you still have some growth to go. As a pediatrician, I would recommend aerobics, calisthenics, and light to mid weights. Lifting heavy weights will certainly increase muscle mass but will cause your bones growth plates to fuse early and you will not reach your adult height potential. Most males finish growing around 18. As for the dreaded belly, cardio/aerobis is the best way to eliminate fat. There is no such thing as "spot burning". Ab workouts make sure the muscle is there when the fat is gone. Diet choices help prevent excess gain. There is no one diet that works for everyone. The emphasis of bodybuilders on high proteins can potentially lead to accidental excess calories that get stored as fat and deficiencies in other nutrients. A healthy diet of lean proteins, limited (not restricted) fats, and emphasizing complex carbs and fibers over simple sugars. Veges are a great source for vitamins and minerals without the sugar that comes with fruit, but fruit is 10 times better than any sweets. Do get a variety of nutrient sources, though.

01 Feb
Thank you very much for your advise. I do eat a variety of foods and avoid trans fats and sweets with good discipline. The belly fat im talking about is at my lower abs and its only a bit i think now i think about it. For the amount of excercise i do, i probably arnt eating enough. Its just i feel full at about 2200 calories and get scared if i eat more ill just get fat. I eat a lot of healthy food: brown rice, aubegines, sweet potato and other veg, lentils, yogurt, nuts, fruit etc. Like i...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51