Anyone else doing keto diet?

4 posts | Original | Recent

10403049_10151983507121910_4316388966803802047_n_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 22, 2014 6:47am
via Android

Hello there! Anyone else doing the keto diet? I started in October at 270 lbs, I'm now 198lbs, lost 70lbs pounds down on the best foods ever! Did it with 0 days in the gym, now time to tone up!

22 Jun
Never heard of it but we'll done! Amazing!
Image_thumb
83 Posts
Jun 22, 2014 12:35pm
via Android

I do Paleo

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 22, 2014 7:18pm
via Android

What does this diet consist of? :)

10403049_10151983507121910_4316388966803802047_n_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 22, 2014 7:48pm

it's the best diet I've ever been on, i know it sounds crazy but it's based on science, basically I changed the fuel my body uses for energy. I thought it was crazy when I read about it too but after losing so much weight I tell EVERYBODY about it, most people laugh (the fat ones at least do) and that was my motivation. To prove everyone of my coworkers wrong, who all believed you could not lose weight eating fatty foods, i spent 0 days in the gym and all I did was follow the basic principles of Keto.  

Keto comes from being in a state of Ketosis, when you're in a state of Ketosis your body no longer breaks down carbohydrates into glucose for the body to use as energy, instead your liver breaks down FAT and turns that into Ketones, which replaces glucose as a energy source. Basically you turn into a 24/7/365 day a year fat burning machine, people who eat carbs have to spend 20 mins burning through their glycerin levels at the gym before reaching fat reserves but someone on keto is constantly burning fat so the gym is even better on this diet, I just haven't gone because I was physically big, now that I'm a lot more thinner I'm going to start toning up.  

Here is the Keto wiki article that changed my life, first paragraph breaks it down in laymen's terms 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet 

Also I read a book called the Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald that breaks everything down and all i know comes from this book. 

Here is what I ate everyday, cooked in Coconut Oil (remember the healthiest saturated fats are your best friend!) 

Breakfast: 

2 eggs fried, 3 slices of bacon fried 

Snack: 

some peanuts 

Lunch 

baked Chicken thigh & leg WITH skin, big spinach salad with olives, broccoli, cucumbers, and topped with delicious fatty dressings like Ranch, Blue Cheese, etc.. just don't do very sweet based like honey mustard, this diet is all about high fatty meats like steak, pork, greens like spinach, broccoli, nuts like peanuts and sunflower seeds, and oils like olive oil and coconut oil, no sugar, no carbs, no fruit (if you're a carnivore then you will love eating ribs, rib-eye, T-bone steak, with fatty dressings on your salad while your friends starve themselves on their juicing or lemonade diets) 

snack: sunflower seeds 

Dinner: 

Salmon or Rib-eye or T-bone steak or Ribs + same salad & dressing as lunch 

As you can see the majority of my intake is fat, basically 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5 % carbs...since you are fat burning machine on keto you need to ingest fat as the majority of your caloric intake. You still have to calculate how many calories your body uses normally in a day, subtract 500 calories and that's what you should eat, for me its 2200 resting - 500= 1700 calories, of those 1700 calories 65% must come from fat, 30% from protein, and only 5 % carbs (about 25 to 50g a day max) 

If you stick to less than 50g of carbs a day for about 3 to 4 days and up your healthy fat intake you will go 3 to 4 days feeling a bit weird, this is called the Keto Flu, and it's normal. It's your body switching from breaking down carbs into glucose for energy, into breaking down fat into ketones for energy, but on the 4th or 5th day, when you wake up, you're going to be so full of energy once you're in Ketosis, shots of olive oil are like energy drinks lol. 

The day I realized this was working was when I could physically see the results, let me explain, there are strips you can buy at Walmart called Keto Strips, they are designed for diabetics to control their ketones levels (in the diabetic world, high ketones levels will kill them, but in our diet world its a way to see how deep in ketosis you are, the larger the reading the better) so I would urinate on these sticks are first and they wouldn't change colors, once in ketosis after a few days of eating awesome high fatty foods, it changed color and confirmed I was in ketosis, 7 months later I'm 70 pounds thinner. :D

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51