Yogurt and coconut water...help!!!

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Aug 20, 2014 4:27am
via Android

I have daily smoothies. I include: 1 to 2 cups of kale, two spoon fulls of yogurt, a banana and three frozen strawberries. I used to include fruit juice (orange or pineapple) but have switched to coconut water to reduce sugar.

My problem is the sugar. I'm trying to lose weight and along with a healthy diet and exercise, I'm trying to reduce my sugar wherever I can. I've also been drinking coconut water alone to change up from water throughout the day. The coconut water has 15 grams of sugar per bottle.

My question is...is coconut water THAT bad for you? What liquid can I use in smoothies? Anyone have any good suggestions for replace yogurt?

20 Aug
Just use plain water. Thats what I use. I heard a saying. Dont drink your calories. I cant tell a difference either ways. I like using enough water and ice
Image_thumb
70 Posts
Aug 20, 2014 4:57am
via Android

Hey there,  what your drinking is super healthy the way it is so good job! Some suggestions would be...

When you buy coconut water make sure it's pure, try getting it from health food stores and always check the label to see how much sugar.

An alternative to drinking coconut water would be... just plain water with a dash of lemon, lime or ginger... or no sugar ice teas which you can buy or make yourself.

Yoghurt is great just make sure your using Greek yoghurt or other healthy, nutrient rich, low fat yoghurts. You don't need to add much.

Some smoothies you don't even need a liquid, you could add ice cubes or really juicy fruits such as watermelon.

Another thing you could try is soy or almond milk.

Hope I could help a lil

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Aug 20, 2014 5:10am
via Android

That's a great idea! That would help get some variety with the types of smoothies I could make too. I'm sure coconut water in smoothies might get old after a while.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Icon_missing_thumb
18 Posts
Aug 20, 2014 12:22pm
via Android

No smoothie is gonna be good for you unless you load it up with veggies just that yogurt alone has a ton of fat in it and so do the coconut products. Try changing up your recipe like something with kale and mint as the base of it.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51