Shin splints

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 10:36pm
via Android

I've been increasing my running distance a lot lately and I'm starting to get shin splits outside of anti inflammatory foods is there anything I can take to help combat this?

10 Sep
10 Sep
Compression socks are so helpful. If you have access to a foam roller, use that as well. Physio helps as well. Hope your shins get better soon
10 Sep
Also pay close attention to the way you are running making sure your feet are not pounding the ground escpecially when you get tired. I was always told if you can hear your feet hitting the ground your are not running properly. Also focus on bring your knees up higher. Good luck shin splits suck and take along time to heal.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Sep 10, 2014 4:44am
via iOS
Been there....painful!! It could be that you've been pushing yourself too hard to increase your distance, and as you've tired your gait has changed? I found a new pair of decent trainers solved the problem completely. You can have your gait analysed at running stores and they will suggest running shoes to suit you. Also, running on Tarmac/concrete doesn't help, but we don't always have a choice :)
10 Sep
Are you running on a treadmill or outdoors? I found that running on a treadmill I had more problems because you're running on a flat surface and your ankles aren't allowed to naturally rotate. I also wear a higher arched shoe which had helped along with compression socks.
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Sep 10, 2014 3:53pm
via Android

I am just recovering from them myself. I found that compression socks/sleeves help with the pain a lot. Also, I have a friend who is a doctor, he said that shin splints should be treated like broken bones. So I have done minimal running in about three weeks, and it killed me not to run, but using a bike or elliptical can help. That is the best way to treat them, lots of rest. You can also ice your shins daily. Now I am going to slowly work my way up back to the distance I was running before. Hope this helps and you get over them quickly.

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Sep 10, 2014 4:59pm
via Android

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just ordered compression sleeves.
I usually run outdoors with my dogs so I'm sure my gait is very inconsistent and there is a lot of stop and go which is adding additional stress.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51