What to eat before working out

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Jan 29, 2015 10:33am
via Android

I usually work out in the morning, first thing I do after getting up. I don't eat anything before, but as my workouts are getting tougher and more challenging this doesn't work anymore. After about 20 minutes I lose muscle strength completely. What should I eat? It needs to be something quick and I need to be able to start working out immediately after eating.

And a completely different matter: after working out for some time I lose focus. This has happened with weight lifting, yoga, running et cetera. I don't lose motivation, but I don't focus anymore and start doing the exercises mechanically without reflecting on what I'm doing, which of course leads to lack of results. Any ideas on how to handle this? I don't do the same routine day after day.

29 Jan
Hi Anna, I work out in the morning too, and for me I cannot eat a large protein shake and immediately workout. That stuff sits in my belly, causes cramps or even come up in mouth when I am doing floor exercises. So I have to eat something light. An orange, a bananas, or even a half or a whole protein bar helps. On top of that I take rhodiola or drink a can of XS energy(XS can be before or after) for pre-workout energy. Both helps with mental clarity, focus, and endurance (that way you can stay focus and...
29 Jan
Or you can just go to www.diamondliving1.com and type in the search bar rhodiola or XS
31 Jan
I recommend peanut butter on whole grain bread and a banana. The carbs and protein should give you enough energy to last throughout your workout
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Jan 29, 2015 10:43am
via Android

Are you interested in taking protein powders etc? My morning pre workout shake is a half scoop of whey a glass of milk, 2 bananas, 2 tsb honey, pinch of cinnamon, half glass oats, 1 tsb flaxseed, 1 tsb coconut oil, 1 tsb peanut butter, 4 ice cubes, 50 gms cottage cheese, 5 gms creatine powder blended together :D

29 Jan
Whoa, that's a whole lot of food in one drink! I could definitely try some protein powder, perhaps blend it with Greek yoghurt and some berries. I don't want to pack too much energy though, being a student studying from home means I spend most of the day sitting.
29 Jan
"Most of the day", I mean all day apart from working out. I rarely even leave the house.
29 Jan
Haha oh well my workouts are 2 hours long usually so I need that :p and I add coffee and 2 egg whites in that too lol but the shake is just shy of 500 ml altogether yes I would love me some Greek yogurt but it isn't easily accessible :( or the berries lol so I work with what I have :p it's my breakfast and pre workout in one shake :p
29 Jan
Bananas are good pre workout
29 Jan
I have the same problem but im not up for eating protein shake. I want to slim my body and loose weight. Will the egg white help me to get the energy? As i remember correctly, egg whites contains a lot of protein which is the food for the muscles "to grow bigger"? Correct me if i am wrong please. . I am here to learn
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Jan 29, 2015 12:44pm
via Android

Yes there is about 3 gms of protein in an egg white which comes at a very low calorie cost but only one isn't going to be enough combine that with a glass of low fat milk and some carbs from fruits or oats for your workout fuel.. Happy working out :)

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Jan 30, 2015 9:09am
via Android

Thank you all for your responses!

Another question on the subject: carbs before and protein after or the other way around? Or just protein? I know there are some different opinions on this.

30 Jan
Quick digesting carbs before with slow digesting protein and fast digesting protein with oats or something are preferred. And most of your carbs quota should come after you workout as following a workout your body doesn't store carbs as fat given that you eat a reasonable amount :p
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Jan 31, 2015 2:01pm
via Android

Before my workout yesterday I had half a glass of cream (I know it sounds disgusting but it's really filling) and a finncrisp with cream cheese. After one hour of working out I still had lots of energy left and could've just kept going for another hour.

31 Jan
But but it's fat unnecessary fat why would you want that?
31 Jan
Because it gives energy. I eat low carb high fat.
31 Jan
What are your goals?
01 Feb
Thomas: to be strong and confident. :) Gotta change my diet though, I have a hard time staying away from bread and chocolate. I'm gonna switch to slow carb, it worked wonders for me some years ago. And annual sugar strike coming up during the fast. Hopefully I'll beat my sugar addiction for good this year. Some weight-loss would be welcome as well since I've been gaining weight the past year. That's more of a diet question though.
Image_thumb
25 Posts
Jan 31, 2015 5:06pm
via Android

A banana

01 Feb
Yeah that's what I used to eat during my gymming years. I hate bananas but I still ate it because it was the best snack before working out.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51