How do you deal with injury?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 4, 2015 4:40pm
via Android

Hey guy I just recently faced a spell of injuries (sprained ankle, pulled groin), so I wanna hear your stories. How do you come back from that? How do you deal with it?

Image_thumb
23 Posts
Feb 4, 2015 6:28pm

Hey guys,

To be honest, it was an injury that brought me to working out more. I've always played soccer my whole life, but never trained for the sport outside of highschool and club seasons.

This all changed when I moved to college. I joined an indoor league and one day had a horrifically gross knee cap dislocation. I layed there screaming on the field clutching my knee as my knee cap was complete on the side of my knee. Luckily there was a chiropractor on the other team, and he acted quickly and helped me move it back into place before my knee completely siezed up (as what had previously happened and required hospitalization).

Gross story aside, I wanted to strengthen my body so this never happened again. I joined a gym and began with upper body workouts. As my legs got stronger, I slowly (and I mean slowly) began to do assisted squats, and more.

Surprisingly, within a month I was back on the soccer field in a limited role. I attribute this taking my workouts from a "lets get better and stronger". I also had an acheivement in mind. It wasn't "I want to look better" but "I want to play soccer again." I think having an attainable goal does wonders. "Looking good" will never be enough to counteract the things which pull us away. The last thing was faith. I believed in myself. It was everything.

Sorry for the long story, but its serisouly been one of the greatest injuries that I've suffered.

10 Feb
*ouch!! I got hurt while playing football too. And it my first injury (don't count bruises and bumps). Hope that I can get back at it and face your squad one day. Your goalie will cry. But you got heart my dude, respect!!
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Feb 4, 2015 7:29pm
via Android

Last March I broke both ankles. There is not much u can do except wait it out. I worked out my upper body arms and  chest only. But if you have sprained ankles there are things you can do to build strength faster. Lookout up on YouTube how to get over a sprained ankle faster.

10 Feb
Both at the same time!! : o
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Feb 4, 2015 9:05pm
via Android

First off, you have to figure how you got the injuries. If they came from unsafe training practices and improper form you would want to approach this differently than if your injuries are the result of over training. Either way, you should try to allow the injured area to heal through rest but try to not to allow yourself to become sedentary.

10 Feb
Yeah it was a bad tackle while playing football. I "R.I.C.E" everyday, but it's been almost 6 months now and still no improvement. I've played a couple of times when I thought that I was fine, only to be in pain later. X rays and MRI haven't shown anything. I don't want them to cut me open. :(

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51