Healthy eating and nutrition for beginners

25 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 10:58am
via Android

I thought I'd create a forum for us beginners who are starting to get hang of the working out part but realizing we can't keep eating like we did before if we want to see results.

You can google your eyes out gathering loads of information, but nothing goes up to discussing with others. Here we can share what we've learned, give tips to help others and ask those questions that we don't dare asking the big boys and girls because we're afraid to look stupid.

A couple of guidelines: we discuss healthy eating for gaining or losing weight and/or building muscle. Please scroll through the forum first to see if your question might be answered in another post. To create a new post, use the Reply-button in the upper right corner or underneath an existing post. To reply to a specific post, use the Comment-button underneath the post.

I recommend checking out Scotty K's posts about body types ("morphs") and losing/gaining weight, you find them among the active topics. They're good reading.

Let's go!

Image_thumb
171 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 6:39pm
via Android

Good initiative, not sure if people will use it though :/

22 Feb
Where's that positive attitude gone Silje? You need more carbs girl! Lol
22 Feb
I'll keep the thread alive and hopefully people will notice it and use it. On the other hand, newbies asking the same questions don't really seem to be browsing the forums first.
23 Feb
Haha Scotty! I'd think you of all people would have reason enough to be at least a bit cynical about this
23 Feb
I'll try to post here as well, hoping people will catch on
23 Feb
Haha just teasing Silje : )
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 6:53pm
via iOS
I'll play!! 
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 6:55pm
via iOS
WANT TO LOSE OR GAIN WEIGHT: READ THIS!!! MY 30 DAY DIARY
There's my contribution to the topic 
Sorry, but the morph topic wouldn't link 
22 Feb
I wanna slap the 2468 girl in the face! If I can persuade just one girl not to try to lose weight eating cabbage soup or shitting themselves thin I'll be a happy man!!
22 Feb
What upsets me the most is really the other people replying seriously to her post bc obviously they have issues too or are completely lost. I mean apparently she has an eating disorder and NO ONE should encourage her to go on. So many girls and women are ruining their lives and depriving themselves from so much because they believe they can't be happy unless they're thin.
22 Feb
Didn't reply or respond to anyone's comments. Did the 2468 anyway, wanted advice on another diet coz that one failed (shock!), and hasn't responded to anyone's comments again. Get off the WORKOUT app or at least try to listen to people's advice when you ask a question. Irritates me that some people are so naive and blinkered.
23 Feb
sad, I'd be devastated if my daughter thought like that at any age, let alone 12!!
23 Feb
I started worrying about my weight when I was 11, and my mom encouraged me when I started dieting in my early teens. I was 158 centimeters and weighed 58 kilograms. :O
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 8:11am
via Android

A little story about how silly it can be when you don't have knowledge about nutrition. My grandmother (dad's mom) who was morbidly obese one day asked my mom how to lose weight. My mom responded that eating rice cakes is good. Some time later my grandmother asked mom when is she gonna start losing weight. Turns out she had just added rice cakes to her normal diet and thought they'd make her miraculously lose weight.

23 Feb
Awe lol!
Image_thumb
252 Posts
Feb 23, 2015 1:45pm
via Android

Anna do you know if its possible to gain a pound or 2 by lifting weights. I added weights to a lot of my exercises to push myself harder. I work out everyday but i seem to stay in the 165lbs-168lbs range now.
Also if possible im 5'9 and 32 in july what would be a healthy weight range be for me ?? Thanks in advanced  YOUR Awesome!!

23 Feb
Or anyone that might know!! ;-)
23 Feb
depending on when you weigh yourself there's a number of reasons you could have put on a couple of lbs - muscle inflammation, water retention, muscle growth, the list goes on. I can't remember which topic I said it on coz I ramble a lot, but I'm basically the same weight as I was 2 years ago right now, but my waist is 6ins less. I know which one I prefer!! My promise to you though is that, if you stick out my 30 day program and eat clean I'll help you smash through that plateau. I'm aiming to get...
24 Feb
There are a lot of different ways to calculate or determine "ideal" weight and to me they're all more or less BS. :) You can calculate your BMI, weight in kg/(height in meters*height in meters), according to WHO a healthy range is between 18,5 and 25. Another way to calculate is height in centimeters minus 100 or 110, so my ideal weight would be either 48 or 58 kg. But really, neither way says anything about your health, your muscle/fat ratio or even your size. Us women need to re-learn and realize weight doesn't matter, I say.
02 Mar
Thanks I just noticed this!!! I weighed myself today I'm 163 and 5'9
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 2:37pm
via Android

I've realized my main problem is I don't get enough calories and I don't get enough protein. I was surprised to realize I don't eat more than around 1500 calories a day and my protein intake merely reaches 20%. Today for instance, I've been up for seven hours and so far eaten 335 calories (!!).

Meal prep, people say. Eat six times a day, they say. How am I gonna eat six times a day when I don't even remember to eat three times? And meal prep, right now I can't even muster the energy to write a weekly menu.

After reading this you'd think I'm thin, right? Well I'm not. Apparently it's possible to be overweight even on 1500 calories a day and working out. I feel like my body is working against me. It doesn't want to eat enough to let me work out as hard as I'd like to, but still it doesn't eat little enough to make me lose weight. And I can't seem to take control over it, it kinda lives it's own life.

Having a really bad day today and needed to get that out of my system.

09 Mar
I do that too!! I get caught up in my day or I'm just not hungry and forget.
Image_thumb
171 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 3:16pm
via Android

Oh wow, I really have the same problem. I'm quite slim though, but I definitely have these stubborn areas that just don't seem to wanna change. I think it comes down to not eating enough for years and my body has just gotten used to it. It all makes sense. When I hear about people eating 6-8 meals a day I'm still like "whaaat" but often half of those meals are healthy snacks/shakes etc... Still, it's almost impossible for me to do right now and I think if you're like that too, it's better to set your goal to 3 meals a day, that's what I'm doing from now on.

*walks to the kitchen for some really late lunch*

24 Feb
Lunch? What is this "lunch" you're talking about? No but seriously, even though I'm really sceptical to supplements and such I'm thinking maybe I should try protein shakes. More protein and more energy might even help me eating better. Sometimes I just open the fridge door, stand staring into it and then think "nah, it's too much work" and walk away.
24 Feb
Same for me...I'm not a snacker so it's hard for me to eat more than the 3 meals usually (I didn't usually eat breakie until recently). My problem (pasta...loveeee my pasta) was too much, too often and not the best for what I need to achieve. I don't really want to loose a lot of weight. It's more toning up. I do however have extremely stubborn areas like my belly (since my operation), arms and thighs too...those babies love me too much to go away. I'll wave them off in the end if I keep going like this. :D
24 Feb
Haha Anna, I roasted up some leftover potatoes and peppers, with some hardboiled eggs. Simple, but good. If you're not ready to do the whole meal prep thing maybe making enough dinner so you have leftovers would help? Or at least something that could be made into another meal. About the protein shakes, I make this one a lot: 1 banana, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter, some cocoa powder, 1 scoop of pea protein and almond milk. It's a bit more natural that the protein powder mixes at least
24 Feb
Lol Hadi... Pasta is too amazing, one of my biggest weaknesses.. But when I have the real deal I often mix it half and half with zucchini noodles.. That cuts down the simple carbs by a lot. Otherwise I have wholegrain pasta, If you find a good brand it's not bad at all :) have you checked how many calories and all of that you eat? Do you eat too much or too little. .. It's hard to know sometimes!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 5:20pm

I've read up a lot on the 6 meals a day 'thing' and it's not actually that important to do it. Most fitness people do it anyway so they don't feel hungry and keep their energy levels up. Eating 3 meals a day is fine, it'll not turn you into a blimp overnight. All that's important is to get the correct amount of calories and, whenever possible, a decent ratio of carbs/protein/fats. Over the last few years I fell into the trap of thinking I needed to eat less, consume nothing but cabbage soup, eat zero carbs, slurp down meal replacement shakes, pills, fast, juice, the list goes on and on over a period of about 10 years. It was only after finally getting my act together and going back to the fundamental aspects of training I used to have 20 years ago that I got back to the basics.... Eat enough of the good stuff, train hard, sweat, drink water, sleep well, that I really began to get healthy again. I only eat every few hours now because I'm used to it, I've also eaten 3 meals a day.
I NEVER used to have breakfast, I used to have 3 or 4 cups of coffee and eat nothing until 6pm. It was only when I started training hard at the gym that I realized I had zero energy and needed to force myself to change. It took me a while though, and the only way I managed to do it in the end was to have the breakfast ready, heat it up and sit there until it was gone. Now I couldn't imagine not having breakfast! I'd be starving!!
I've don't the meal replacement shakes and protein drinks 'thing' Anna, and I can see your point there. my advice would be to prep a few days meals so that when you open the fridge door you're only doing it to take a box of food out rather than see what to have. Make the meal small if you need to. After a few days your body will start to program itself to eat and you'll begin to find it easier. Again, I was the same. I just couldn't be bothered to eat and as a result I only ate around 1500-2000 calories a day. As a result of this I just could not lose weight!! Now that I really understand what I need to eat, and the calories I need to consume I can control my weight quite comfortably to the point that I know how long it will take me to get to a certain point.

Everyone can lose or gain weight once they understand how much they need to eat each day and it bugs the living shit outta me that people still believe the best way to lose weight is to just eat less. How much is less?!?!

Do people honestly believe that they will lose weight by only consuming 200 calories a day?!?! That's like filling a car with a cup of fuel and expecting it to carry you for miles... Before too long you'll be left stranded, unable to move and wishing you'd used performance fuel!!

(You can always tell when I'm hungry on the topics pages!!!!)

25 Feb
Haha yes, I know you that well already I notice! Luckily I'm at least a breakfast person, my mom was always very particular about having breakfast. But if I have a really shitty day I might end up not eating at all for many hours. What bugs me too besides the "eat less" tip that is just BS, is the "just eat normal food" advice. What the hell is "normal food"?
25 Feb
Speaking of "normal food", Swedish triathlon athlete Jonas Colting, who advocates low carb/high fat, examined what normal food is, as in what are the top ten foods that Swedes eat today. Turns out normal food is pizza, fish sticks, sausage, frozen meals, finished meatballs and instant soups. That's not even food!
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 7:21pm
via Android

Hi Silje,

Zucchini noodles??? What are these wondrous things? I have heard of spinach pasta which left me reeling but never zucchini.

I am such a pasta fan that I'm too scared to make it as I cannot control my portions at all. I always cook too much and eat it like a person that has been starving for days.

Pasta to me is like milk to a baby. It's my crack. Specifically lasagna. I'm a human version of Garfield the cat.

Although Garfield would think he was possessed due to my recent and enthusiastic exercise regime and would call for an exorcism.

To be honest I don't snack but since exercising I'm not really as hungry as I used to be. Most at lunch or dinner I have to remind myself or force myself to eat for energy and fuel sake.

This is new to me. I was also an extreme Nutella fan. So you can imagine how my friends are possibly wondering if this will last.

26 Feb
HAHA Hadi, I laughed so hard at this! Zucchini noodles are really easy to make. You just take a zucchini and shred it into thin shreds with a potato peeler or something. Then you boil the shreds in salted water for two minutes before draining. Eat just like pasta. It tastes good and the texture is close to pasta, the only thing that differs is that it doesn't soak sauces. I was a big fan of spinach pasta when I was a kid. But the best thing was the tricolore pasta, with regular, tomato and spinach pasta!
26 Feb
Haha, Hadi... You're too funny! Yes Anna answered before me :) but I prefer to use a spiralizer for the zucchini noodles, better texture I think! Also you could do the same with carrots etc.. Different flavour of course but still! Recently I also heard about something called spaghetti squash.. A squash that you can bake and it actually turn into strands like spaghetti... I thought it sounded interesting, too bad I can't find it anywhere where I live... But anyway, Don't completely deprive yourself of your favourite foods... We all know how that will turn out! :)
26 Feb
Just saw these comments! For some reason the app only notifies me sometimes! Umpf. Thank you lovely ladies for so many tips. I will definitely be having a go soon. Don't worry though. I don't deprive myself. One day a week, usually sunday, I rest and have the kind of food I don't have the rest of the week. I bought this little lasagna tray that cuts out perfect portions for me to have without going crazy. So was able to slurp my lasagna last Sunday... :P I'm supposed to go to Italy soon and have noooooo idea how I'm...
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 9:39am

I know some people are wondering or even being skeptical as to why I put down so much time and effort in helping other people, so here's my story.

In 2008 when I had been in therapy for several years I felt now I knew my mind and what it could do, now I wanted to get to know my body. I didn't know where to start, so I put an ad in the local paper asking if someone could help me out. A woman, a complete stranger, answered that she would be glad to help me. From that on and for over a year, she was my free of charge PT and workout buddy and she taught me so much. She even came and picked me up by car after work and gave me a ride to the gym. She did this because she had just come out of a relationship and she felt she needed something to help her work through that. I'm so grateful for this wonderful woman putting down time and effort teaching a stranger for free. She by the way became a trained PT later on. :)

And it's not just that. I have so many wonderful friends that have helped me so much, through depressions and struggling with mental illness. People who have been there for me through thick and thin, taking care of me, being observant on how I feel and helping me out when they see that I'm down. I've never had to ask for help, it has come to me.

Every chance I get to pay it forward, I take. I guess it's just a question of karma and what goes around, comes around. I also think that people in general are not acknowledging the hard work other people put down enough, and that people deserve praise for putting in that effort. It just kind of motivates me to motivate others, and what I give I also get back, tenfold.

26 Feb
Lovely. Not trying to sound corny but it is an inspiring lovely personal account that I'm thankful you shared Anna. There's so much crap in this world that I love being in contact with positive and lovely spirits like you. Your story about that wonderful woman being there at the right time for both of you reinforces my belief that people either for a short or long time always pass through your life for a specific reason. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well but your story reminds me of that.
26 Feb
Lovely story Anna. I've been close to people with depression since the age 16 and value a positive mindset. It costs nothing to be kind to people in a world full of selfish assholes!
26 Feb
Now I feel I have to point out that I'm also really stubborn, moody and I love to complain about petty things, lol. But yeah, I have a positive mindset and I really believe that people in general are good, and it's been proven to me over and over.
27 Feb
Oh, you have adhd? I'm bipolar so I guess we have a lot in common. Up and down, here and there, either completely absorbed or not focusing at all and always being a little bit too much over the top. :)
02 Mar
Anna your an amazing women!!
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Mar 3, 2015 10:51pm
via Android

I think my biggest problem with this healthy lifestyle is how confusing it all is. And ive read so many conflicting things by renowned personal trainers and nutritionists. Ive read things like to effectively loose weight you need to have your goal calorie intake, some say 1200 and other say 1500+ ive heard things about the calories your burning but i cant figure out how many i should bet burning. Does anyone know how to work out how many calories to burn for your calorie intake? Is there a percentage or something that i can work with untill i get my intake where i need it. Cause im seriously struggling to get past 1300 cals a day. And the more i eat the less im motivated to workout. I literally feel so full constantly between the 1300 cals and 1.5L water. someone please help me lol! :)

04 Mar
I'm thinking that general advice saying "eat 1200 calories a day" are just very general and simplified and don't take activity level, age, weight etc in consideration. When I use Scotty's calculations my BMR is 1591 and my TDEE is 2187, which I think sounds realistic. I consider myself only lightly active, since I study from home and get no everyday exercise like walking places and such even though I work out almost every day. I eat about 1500 calories a day, which gives me a deficit of about 600 kcal a day. Then I take what I burn through...
04 Mar
And about 1200 calories a day, I used Noom weight-loss coach last spring, which suggested just that. From exercising it gave me about half the calories I had burned to my net intake. So if I would have burned 1000 calories one day (not realistic but as an example) it would've let me eat 1700. I was hungry, tired and sad all the time, I had no energy and I didn't eat enough to build any muscle. All in all I lost just a couple of kilograms in three months and had no visible change since I didn't build any...
04 Mar
I did scottys equasions for my bmr and tdee and it is 1900 cal intake and 538 cals to burn daily. Do you suggest that i should work on increasing my daily intake from about 1200 - 1300 to the 1900 and im currently burning about 450 - 500 cals which isnt including the 400 i would usually burn at work everyday ?
04 Mar
Oo now you're asking me tough questions! But I'm thinking you should at this point aim at 1500 calories. If you have a hard time reaching that I'm guessing 1900 is completely out of reach for you at the moment. I know how difficult it is, I ate six times yesterday and I didn't reach 1500. I do get hungry, but somehow I can't get in enough calories. I firmly believe though that you'll start losing fat if you start eating a bit more. Your body needs the energy to build muscle and to stay healthy. I had a hard...
04 Mar
Yep im already struggling to get 1300 cals down a day and im legit burning waaay more than i need to. Ive been considering adding more dairy meat and carbs to my diet. While my diet is well balanced and moderated possibly if i add yoghurt to my fruit salad at brekky and a larger portion of chicken to my salads or have it on a roll or toasted sandwich instead to try get some extra cals down. Like i mean i could always have a large maccas meal and smash down cals but id rather do it slowly and...
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 9, 2015 10:02am
via Android

I'm bumping up this thread again, Scotty has given such great advice in it.

What I've been thinking about this morning is using natural remedies to boost metabolism, reduce sugar cravings etc. We all know that there are no short cuts and being healthy requires hard work. But there is actually scientific proof that some minerals, spices etc can help you lose weight, be healthier and so on. One example is chili, which boosts your metabolism. Another one is chrome, which is supposed to reduce sugar cravings. A common method is drinking a glass of warm water with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in the morning. There's no scientific proof for that having any effect as far as I know, but a lot of people swear by it.

Do you take any supplements or use any spices or herbs that you think helps you on the way? I take vitamin D from September until April (winter is daaaark here) and I should take potassium, which is the most important mineral for the muscles and nervous system.

09 Mar
I need zinc in my life than!! Ever since having baby I crave sweets!! I heard drinking ice water with lots of ice is good for your core!! U should see me drinking ice water All day lolol
09 Mar
Nooo scratch that! This is embarrassing but I meant chrome, not zinc. Although weight training can cause a deficit of zinc too. I'll edit the post.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 9, 2015 3:37pm
via iOS
I'm doing some reading on how intense exercise affects the body's immune system right now coz I keep catching bugs. It's really interesting stuff and I'll add it on here when I've read it all through.
As for the drinks etc, I've used lemon water a lot & my favorite is lemon/cucumber/mint/green tea, which I found helped with bloating and gave me a bit of energy. 
All other supplement drinks etc are just basic ingredients wrapped up in marketing BS. 

Diet pills are the rabbit poop of the devil btw
09 Mar
Everything that comes from a box is the rabbit poop of the devil imo. :) I'd love to hear more about exercise and the immune system! I've been eating better and working out harder the past couple of months and I've also been a lot more ill. Doesn't make sense at all to me.
09 Mar
There's a strong correlation between the intensity of the workouts and the effect it has on the immune system. I've read quite a bit on it coz I seem to catch bugs easy so I wanted to know how to change my diet to combat it
09 Mar
No worries Anita, I should be able to put something on here by Wednesday
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 6:48pm

hi honey's I'm baaaaack!!

So here's a bit of science on working out and the effect it has on your immune system. I've done a fair bit of readin gon it coz I keep catching bugs (most of which because I live with 3 young kids) and I wanted to know more about the correlation...

Here ya go!

Whether professional or recreational, any strength athlete can experience an ‘immune crash’ during periods of intense, heavy, or high volume training as he or she loads the body above habitual levels in an attempt to get stronger, quicker, or more powerful. It’s accepted both through anecdotal and epidemiological evidence (the branch of medicine that studies cause of disease) that moderate, regular training can reduce the risk of infections by having a positive effect on the immune system. Therefore, you can avoid this ‘crash’ in immune health.

This is what happens when you push your body to it's upper limit, past the moderate, regular training.

Intensive exercise alters a number of immune factors including circulating leukocytes (more commonly known as white blood cells). The chief function of leukocytes is to protect the body against microorganisms causing disease. To use a team sports metaphor, this is like trying to defend with five fewer players (leukocytes) on the field than your opposition (the virus or bacteria). While you’d be able to do it, you massively increase their chances of getting the ‘W’ (ultimately you becoming ill).

Ultimately, this means that sore throats and flu like symptoms are more common in athletes than in the general population (Heath 1991), and once infected, colds may last longer, therefore detrimentally affecting training and performance (Pedersen 1995). I'm not saying I'm an athlete, but I do believe that the way I train puts my body under significant stress and makes me susceptible to bugs.

PREVENTION

Tricky!!

Antioxidant supplements such as vitamin C and vitamin E help.

Supplementing with carbohydrates (more precisely 30–60 grams of carbohydrate per hour during 2.5 hours of strenuous training), will improve the efficiency of the immune system while still continuing to train at a high intensity

BCAA's have been found to help by reversing the reduction in serum glutamine concentration observed after prolonged intense exercise. The prevention of the lowering of plasma glutamine concentration allows an increased response of lymphocytes as well as an increased production of IL-1 and 2, TNF-alpha, and IFN-gamma, which is possibly linked to the lower incidence of symptoms of infection.

Other than that it's just a case of accepting that you'll be more susceptible to those nasty little bugs. As for me I've begun taking a vitamin C supplement every morning, and I'm looking at foods that have a higher concentration of vitamin E to see if I can make a morning smoothie to go with my breakfast. I already strongly believe in the power of carbs and I've taken BCAA's in the past but I've no desire to start pumping my body with supplements when I much prefer the natural approach...

Hope this makes interesting reading, it's a very small snippet of the research papers I've been checking out but I didn't wanna go OTT

10 Mar
that's it in a nutshell Anita. Moderate exercise improves your ability to fight off illness, but when you put your body under stress, like with intensive exercise, it basically reduces your body's ability to fight illness by effecting your white blood cell "players".
10 Mar
Really interesting reading Scotty. Thank you for sharing and hope you feel better.
10 Mar
Thank you, professor SK! Now I'm wondering, does what's to be considered intense exercise depend on what level you're on? Or is intense more of a constant factor? I don't know if I'm making myself clear.
10 Mar
I was wondering the same thing Anna. The research I read was done on endurance and power athletes. I guess it's what each person would class as 'intense' when they workout or lowly people like us. All I know is that I catch colds easily and I wanted to know how I could best combat it coz there's no way I'll reduce the intensity of my training.. I anything it's gonna get more intensive
10 Mar
I'm guessing the same. Sadly, since I started working out more intensively about a month ago I've been a lot more ill. This also explains why a lot of people start working out and almost immediately get ill.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 10, 2015 8:16pm
via iOS
FYI, I found a smoothie rich in vitamin E!!

It's called..... "CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT"

*smacks hand into face 
10 Mar
Yep! It's a trade off... No colds for 3 chins! It's either that or more spinach, beets & kale... I stick with my theory that we are all pawns in some kinda sick game!
10 Mar
I'm gonna stick with catching a cold each month!
11 Mar
Noooo? *mind boggled* Another solution might be vitamin E drops, I know you can buy them to use in organic skincare. I don't think I've ever seen vitamin E supplements which is strange since it's a supervitamin.
11 Mar
Did someone say Nutella...? *_*
11 Mar
I immediately thought of you, Hadi, and laughed out loud. :D
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 2:36pm
via Android

Hey I started thinking about something today. The body needs to be shocked and kept guessing workout wise, but what about calorie wise? Could there be an advantage to now and then eating above or under your normal intake? Or would that just cause it to not let go of it's reserves?

20 Mar
Workout wise, workoutwise, workout-wise, I don't know. They all look wrong and weird.
20 Mar
You should check out carb-cycling. That's very popular on the same principle. I prefer to shock my body with beer & nachos!
21 Mar
LOL Scotty. I'm too scared to try that (beer and nachos) in case my body says "Is that all you got? GIMME MORE!!" ;)
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:51pm
via iOS
HERE'S SOMETHING THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!! 

Check out IIFYM on google & the principle that you can eat nothing but junk food and still be ripped as long as you follow your calories & macros!!! 

I follow a guy on iG who swears by it and he's ripped to hell!

Blows my mind!! 
21 Mar
I saw that on IG too! Just weird...
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 22, 2015 9:54am
via Android

I've read a couple of articles on carb-cycling now and what hits me the most is that my regular diet is extremely low in carbs. I based my calculations on 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight and calculated the percentages based on that. According to the calculations a low-carb day should give about 25% of my calories from carbs (0,5 g of carbs per pound). I very, very seldom eat that many carbs. A high-carb day would be 45% or 175 grams of carbs and from where I stand that just sounds plain crazy.

I'm thinking I might develop my own variation of this, but first off: is 1 gram protein per pound a good starting point? I see different numbers everywhere. I'm guessing I weigh somewhere around 175 pounds.

22 Mar
Scotty, I need you!
22 Mar
Me??????? Wasssssssssurp??
23 Mar
I need a bit of help with numbers. I'm not quite sure how many grams of protein per day I should go for.
23 Mar
No worries, I'll be able to help later today
23 Mar
I'm hitting the gym in about an hour, but i'll be free until then if you still need my help. Just lemme know how I can assist.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 23, 2015 3:55pm

so... If you happy skimblers remember, I've been doing some research on the impact heavy duty training has on the immune system. As a result I found I needed to increase my vitamin C & E consumption to help me stop getting bugs.

I've been searching for smoothies that would help jack up my vitamin numbers, but the stuff I would've needed to drink would have messed with my calories. For the last week and a bit I've been taken vitamin C & E tablets (I don't like multi-vitamins) and so far so good I suppose. One of the girls had a cold and i didn't catch it! So yay!!

It's too early to tell obviously, but I'm hoping it will help me stop catching every damn bug that flies around. I was growing tired of continuously training under 100%

23 Mar
Omg I always catch the kids colds!! Was sick last month and now again ughhh lolol! I need to start taking them also!!
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 23, 2015 4:11pm

I was thinking about writing a guide on nutrition, having read many books I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the subject. But then I changed my mind, and the reason for that is simply because i feel like scientific knowledge of nutrition isn't giving us any helpful guidance for living a healthy life. Theres two reason why i feel this way:

1: Even though scientists are figuring out more and more about how different nutrients affect the body, the subject is just still too complex that we don't have the full, comprehansive understanding of it, so alot of the data is subject to interpretation. Even experts who have studied nutrition for several decades can't agree, and give very subjective opinion about what they think is a healhy diet.

2: I've also come to realise that there is no 'bad' nutrient, that if you eliminate it you will live a healthy life. Take macronutrients for instance, I'm sure you've all heard so much about good fats, bad fats, good carbs vs bad carbs, essential proteins. If you eliminate one of those, you will live a very unhealthy life. Sure, you might loose weight, but this is because your body is left struggling.

What I find to be far more helpful, are studies and theories about the corrolation between certain foods and health problems. For instance, looking into diets and eating habbits of different cultures and comparing those to their overall health. Then comparing that information to other regions where diets are similar and checking if their results are consistant. "The China Study" is a good example of this, where they found over 8000 99,9% corrolations! But this is a somewhat dry read.

For starters, I would recommend a book called "Food rules: An Eater's Manual" written by Michael Pollan. This is a handbook consisiting of 64 simple to follow rules for a healthy lifestyle. The reason why i recommend this book is because it's very consistant with the such findings without going too much into the details.

Watch this 20 min presentation in which he talks about - which i find to be the most important - step towards a healthy diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7kwfE3cJQ

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 13, 2015 10:25am
via Android

I've been trying carb-cycling now for a couple of weeks and despite of my efforts it hasn't gone that well. Low carb days are no problem to me but the high carb days have been rough. I've managed to eat a bit more carbs but the problem is they end up taken out of my proteins, not my fats. On my low carb days my protein intake is at an acceptable 30% level, so that's good!

The real problem that this has brought with it is that as soon as I moved to a more "advanced" level and started keeping track of macros, planning my workouts etc, working out and eating became chores instead of fun and games. Instead of being rewarding in itself it's about results. Instead of being about feeling good it's about progress. And I'm a feelgood person. If something isn't fun, I don't bother. I haven't gotten any better results either, so there hasn't really been any positive side to it.

So what do I do now? Well, I'm gonna try going back to basics. Take a few steps back and see what happens. Make working out fun again and let food be, you know, food instead of molecules. I'm gonna try not tracking my food intake for a week or two, but of course I'll stick to my healthy eating habits and my calorie goal, which I know well by now.

Let's see what happens!

13 Apr
And yes, I know I keep changing my mind constantly, lol.
13 Apr
Sometimes it takes an experiment to help us learn if some new technique works for us. Carb cycling, taking the portion from fats, did not work for me. Following the US CDC macro guidelines of 20% protein, 30 fat, 50 carb has worked for me. But I'm not allowed to lift heavy any more, so my body's needs are different on my program than your body's. My goal is to establish good eating habits for the rest of my life. Anna, your greatest asset is your brainpower! And you have plenty of that. You're using that intelligence, and we are...
13 Apr
Thank you, Sharon! I'm all about informed decisions. :)
Image_thumb
49 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 12:53am
via Android

Unfortunately, I see my need to cut down on fast food somewhere down the line for me which I will find extremely difficult because 1. Its delicious, and 2. It is much-needed calories for me whenever i dont take food for work. Also, although somewhat related to this post. I have noticed I get hungry more often now that I am working out. Is that my body telling me that it does need more calories that I am currently taking? I was already eating a lot before I began working out because I have a high metabolism..

16 Apr
Are you tracking your food intake with eg Myfitnesspal? If not, start by doing that. In Scotty K's post Want to lose or gain weight you find information on how to calculate your calorie intake. And as for the fast food, can you choose other options if you don't bring your own food to work?
17 Apr
Yes I read Scotty K's post and I know my BMR already so at least I got that down. I tried and started to track my calories about a month ago, but I felt like it was a lot of labor trying to guess how many servings of certain foods I ate when they don't have labels on them like beans, vegetables, etc, so I gave up on it. I do want to do this right so I will try again soon..
03 May
I know it's difficult to track vegetables and other foods that don't come in a labeled package. I use the Swedish FDA's database to find nutritional values for such foods. A lot can be found in Myfitnesspal's database too.
03 May
Also, weigh unlabeled foods on a kitchen or diet scale if you know you can't make educated guesses or estimates!
Image_thumb
214 Posts
Apr 26, 2015 7:40pm
via Android

Bringing this up again for a friend :)

Image_thumb
382 Posts
May 3, 2015 9:36am
via Android

I've been weighing myself daily for the past week to find my "perfect" calorie intake. It's been really interesting and I'll continue doing it at least next week as well since I feel I'm learning a lot about my body. And I'm happy to say I haven't gotten discouraged by weighing myself at all!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51