The 5:2 Diet. Intermittent Fasting.

68 posts | Original | Recent

Jan 12, 2013 6:37pm
via iOS
Hey all!
Just joined here, I am back training hard at the gym after the festive period. Last week I began on the 5:2 or intermittent fasting diet I watched a documentary on. I thought it was brilliant how there were so many health benefits and weight loss!
Is this anyone's lifestyle? How do you find it? And what sort of results have you had? Finally, how do you find training whilst fasting?
X
13 Jan
13 Jan
You speak french?
21 Jan
keep doing what you doing you look fine
22 Jan
What kind of foods are you having on the 2 fast days?
22 Jan
Awww thank you Jeremy! On a fast day I would normally have a protein shake in the morning, then train, then drink LOADS of water and green tea all day and afternoon/evening I would have a piece of chicken breast and veg :)
Adam_vegas_thumb
46 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 12:14am
via Android

A friend of mine did the fasting diet and got ripped from it. If I didn't love food so much, I would try it.

Image_thumb
311 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 1:42am
via Android

Whats the 5:2 diet

Churchbunny_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 1:53am
via Android

Hmmmm . . . I gotta try this. Details? Thanks! 👙

Jan 13, 2013 3:48am
via Android

id like more info on it also

Image_thumb
1 Post
Jan 13, 2013 4:30am
via Android

For the 5:2 diet you can eat regular for 5 day and for 2 days you fast and have a restricted diet of 600 calories or less

22 Jan
What do u mean eat regular?
11 Sep
It's probably what you normally eat, but eating healthy is the best for your body and gets the best results( for the 5 days)
Image_thumb
219 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 4:51am
via Android

Sounds lk it would slow down your metabolism, those two days of fasting every week.
But wt do I know

13 Jan
Wts the documentary, I'll check it out
01 Feb
It definitely would, a consistent diet is what makes you lose weight.
Churchbunny_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 12:07pm
via Android

@Mark b. Or anyone who can answer. Did u mean 600 calories for 5 day part or for 2 day part? 🌀

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 4:01pm
via Android

I think it's the 2day part.

Jan 13, 2013 4:36pm
via iOS
Basically you eat as normal for 5 days. Then the 2 days of fasting, which must be separate for example a Tuesday and a Sunday. You would eat 500 calories (women) and 600 (men) 
So far I have lost 3lbs this week. 
It does not slow down your metabolism (although not eating goes against every diet strategy we know) the body is signaled to release repair hormones instead. 
It's fantastic for lowering blood pressure and sugar. Even better for loosing weight. The results are fantastic! 
There is so much science behind it, have a look on google! :) 
20 Jan
Sounds interesting...I might die eating only 500 cal for a day though...I love to eat
11 Sep
Is this method good when trying 2 build muscle mass?
Jan 13, 2013 4:53pm
via iOS
500 per day, it's not so bad :) 
I'm fasting today, already trained this morning. A lot of the bikini pro's are using this method as there lifestyle now too
13 Jan
Cool, good luck with that
20 Jan
This does sound Very interesting. And def think I'm going to try this method I already kind of do this but I'm gonna try and do this for sure and follow all ur tips...thank you so much for sharing
Adam_vegas_thumb
46 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 4:55pm
via Android

I'm going to eat really bad today and not fast.

195560_100000270248260_957468411_n_thumb
21 Posts
Jan 13, 2013 6:27pm
via Android

I might have to try this

Image_thumb
56 Posts
Jan 19, 2013 11:49pm
via iOS
Sounds interesting
Image_thumb
24 Posts
Jan 20, 2013 12:06am
via Android

I might try this.

Image_thumb
30 Posts
Jan 20, 2013 12:16am
via Android

I'm going to start doing this. I've tried the 3 day water fast but with that you can not have any calories. Trying to function on just water for three days does not work well with me.
thanks

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Jan 20, 2013 3:11am
via Android

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and highly recommend it.
It gets you thinking about what you eat and, as mentioned above, the health benefits are incredible.
The fasting days are not anywhere near as bad as I'd thought they'd be either :)

23 Jan
Have you lost weight?
23 Jan
I have. Just under 10 lbs lost Tuesday which was just past the two week stage. I'm sticking to 600 calories on fast days and 1500 on non-fast days. The non-fast day totals are net of any exercise though. I was aiming for 2-3lbs a week so I'll be increasing my non fast day calories this week.
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jan 20, 2013 1:54pm
via Android

I'm going to start this plan. I am coming off a bulking routine. This should help shed the added fat stores from all of the calorie intake.
Thanks!

14 Feb
Okay. I'm one week into the 5:2. Full body workout routines with running. I am down 10 pounds! And I feel great!!! Thanks Sarah!!!
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Jan 21, 2013 10:07am
via Android

I recomend this to my clients sometimes, they always have good results with it..but its not for everyone!

28 Sep
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with disordered eating. I had an eating disorder for ten years, this would only fuel that old part of me :(
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Jan 21, 2013 7:20pm
via iOS
Kyle- you mentioned this diet isn't for everyone. What does that mean? How do I  know if it's ok for me?? ;)
21 Jan
I've been researching it since this post was made to learn more about it. the only people its not safe for are children and pregnant or breast feeding women. so not to sure what he meant by that. they even had a 61 year old man do it.
21 Jan
I think what he meant was, it takes a lot of will power to do, and if you can't go 15 or so hours of fasting, it may nit be for you.
21 Jan
Adam has it it right...on fasting days it's hard for some people to follow. An they end up eating more than they should.
27 Jan
Also if you need to regulate your diet for health reasons, eg diabetes. As with any diet, consulting your doctor for its suitability for you its a good thing if you have any concerns.
Jan 21, 2013 10:34pm
via iOS
Give it a go guys, I've been on it for nearly a month now and am having good results :) I feel a lot better in myself. I feel healthier if that's possible. Lower blood pressure also (I'm a nurse so always seem to be monitoring it haha) like I said, brilliant health benefits. I found it hard my first week but 'mind over matter' I just got loads of water down me and got on with it. Sounds crazy but I somehow have a better work out on my fasting days!
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Jan 22, 2013 5:48am
via iOS
How long does it take to see results?
22 Jan
I have seen improvements within for weeks and dropped 2% body fat :)
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Jan 22, 2013 5:49am
via iOS
Does the name come from bible verse chapter 5 verse two?
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jan 22, 2013 8:08am
via iOS
Can u still diet through the 5 days and still fast on 2 days? For instance ive limited my calorie intake down to 1600 for non workout days and if i work out i can eat a lil more (so if i burned 1000cals on work out days i can eat 2600cals that day). I usually work out 5 days a week so maybe i can fast on my rest days, but would any of u consider fasting on work out days?
22 Jan
Yeah! I limit myself to 1,500 calories a day just in general, 500 on fast days. I train on fast days also. But some people can't manage it which is completely understandable. But I would maybe give yourself 2000 cals on a normal day, training or not. Unless your trying to shift some body fat.. Hope this helps. Give me a follow on twitter if you need any more info :) @SarahLouise188
22 Jan
Thnx for your info!
22 Jan
I would fast on workout days. Increases hgh and testosterone levels. You body tries to compensate not eating with natural energy and sustain muscle mass by upping hormone production.
Icon_missing_thumb
7 Posts
Jan 22, 2013 10:13am
via Android

How many calories can you max eat on non fasting days?

22 Jan
I usually eat 1,500, Lore. And that's simply because I'm aiming to loose 1lb and week and keep it off. :)
23 Jan
Thank you! I am going to fast 2 days a week, 1 extra day with 1000 calories and the others max 1500. I really want to lose weight as well! As fast as possible but i want it to last as well

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,328 topics, 38,265 posts

Motivation & Support

8,518 topics, 41,528 posts

App Updates

41 topics, 102 posts

Ask the Pros

761 topics, 1,951 posts

Workouts and Programs