My Fitness Pal

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
99 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 6:12am
via Android

I find it so hard to add meals to my fitness pal diary because alot of my meals are home made and are not included so i feel like id have to put every single ingredient which drains my life

12 Mar
It's easier if you go by recipes on myrecipes.com you can log whatever recipe you find on that site. That's what I've been doing lately
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 6:53am
via Android

I have the same problem. I tried putting in a recipe but when I searched for ingredients I got all sorts of things in English instead of anything even resembling the ingredient that I put in in Swedish. There's also the Meals tab where you can put in certain meals to make them easier to log in the future. You're still going to have to save them ingredient by ingredient though. Mine has for some reason saved the lunch I had yesterday as a meal, I don't know why and it hasn't saved any other meals automatically.

It becomes really difficult when you cook for three persons with five ingredients and then you have to calculate how large a part of each ingredient you ate. I had low carb high fat pizza and got up to huge amounts of calories estimating that each piece had like 150 grams of cheese, 150 grams of cauliflower etc. When I later weighed a piece of the pizza it weighed in total 150 grams. :/

12 Mar
Wow you actually bothered to try lol im just like stuff it and i leave it blank or i dont bother with the app for a while. Its frustrating
12 Mar
I'm trying to take it seriously. :) Sometimes I "forget" logging food and I do a lot of guessing when it comes to amounts. But I think it evens out.
12 Mar
And I don't log pretty stuff like the milk I put in my coffee or the butter or oil I used when cooking. Just imagine using a tablespoon of butter and then calculating like "yes, I probably had half a teaspoon of butter with this meal". That would be just crazy.
12 Mar
*petty stuff
12 Mar
Hahaha yeh i was doing that too (milk in coffee) but i think you can find it already there together. I suppose we just gotta guess then. Worth a try.
Image_thumb
214 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 1:37pm
via Android

Same here! Sometimes I just log the main ingredients trying to estimate the amount per portion. But it can get really boring

12 Mar
If you go to recipe section of the site, you can log the amounts for your share one time, name it, and call it up to log in the future. It does as one item with all the nutritional breakdown. My recipes are complicated, collected from all over the world, AND we rarely eat out. Once going through the nuisance of creating the recipe for one portion, and done. I also log every itsy bitsy tiny thing, including 10 ml milk for 150 ml coffee, but I have recipes created for that, too.
16 Mar
Yes, I had created recipes too but I don't use them very often. Or I change something every time I make them and so on... I like to mix things up in the kitchen.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Mar 12, 2015 2:01pm
via Android

Yeah i spent a lot of time creating almost all my own food entries manually, i would even redo ones that already existed, to make the serving size 100g so i could easily use my kitchen scale and enter amounts without doing math.  It was easier to do a lot of that work sitting down at a pc rather than on mobile.

It got a bit better after a while because my diet is quite repetitive... And I have a very long list of saved meals.

Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 3:40am
via iOS
I use My Plate by Livestrong.  I can enter my own meals and access them again anytime I want.  I've never used MFP, though I do have it on my phone, so I can't really compare the two.  Homemade items are totally a pain to log in general though, I completely agree.  Heaven help you if you go to a buffet!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51