Alcohol

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 11:28am
via Android

Sooo I know this isn't very fitnessy of me, but I do enjoy drinking alcohol once in a while. It's not something I do all the time, but a couple of times a month (okay, during vacation it can be a lot more than that). I have no problem with the alcohol part in itself, I drink mostly wine that's the lowest in calories and sugar and I'm totally aware it adds on a lot to my calorie intake that day. But the cravings the next day... I just want to eat pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, chocolate, all sorts of candy I wouldn't even touch otherwise. How do I cope with this? Is it even possible to stick to healthy foods when being hungover? Or should I just treat these days as cheat days?

Maybe I'd lose more fat if not drinking at all, but hell, I lose just enough as it is and I'm not gonna give up all of my vices.

13 Mar
I believe it's just a mine thing because I drink red wine twice a month but I always remember portion control.
13 Mar
Probably. Sometimes I can get up at nine in the morning after a night of partying and just go on with my day as any other day, even go for a jog. Other times I wake up like "ooooh I'm so tired today, I'm gonna lie around on the sofa all day and eat all sorts of crap". You're right. It's all about excuses and mindset. :) I don't know what the key is tho.
13 Mar
You should eat healthy the next day. Much water (alcohol steals minerals), fish, vegetables. Walk outside. If you're starving for sweets or good and solids it's because of the alc. Make sure to prepare most of the good food before you drink, so you just have to eat it and not spending hours with cooking or preparing.
Image_thumb
81 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 12:47pm
via Android

Why speak alcool in sport chat? Alcool is bad for health.:)

13 Mar
That's pretty obvious, she already mentioned that.
13 Mar
I frensh . I m don t speak english totally;)
13 Mar
The question is actually about eating healthy, and it's posted in the Diet & Nutrition forum. A lot of things people ask about here have more to do with being healthy than with working out. I'm completely aware drinking alcohol apart from smaller amounts isn't good for your health. Neither is eating sugar, eating fast food, drinking soda and so on and so on.
13 Mar
Sorry:-)
13 Mar
It's okay. :)
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 1:58pm
via iOS
Ahhhhhhh alcohol!! My kryptonite and nemesis rolled into one! 

I love a beer. Mmmm, ice-cold beer. 

Having a beer is my ultimate cheat meal day! A 6-pack & a big bag of chips (crisps to you and me) & I'm a happy man! I have a blow-out once or twice a month usually (I'm trying not to this month though).

Just do it Anna! & try to promise yourself that you will restrict it to once or twice & it's all good. Even once a week didn't do me much harm if I stuck to 6. It not like I'm training for the Olympics! 
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 3:34pm
via Android

What I find to be the key to avoiding hangovers is that I wait for the alcohol to wear off before going too bed I never dose off drunk and I use a redbull vodka finisher to the evening usually which helps to wear off the alcohol for me plus I try to keep hydrated too and keep these evenings to once a week

Image_thumb
215 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 4:47pm

By the way Anna, I want to follow you since a few days. But I always got a 502 Bad gateway error message.

14 Mar
That's weird? Have you tried on a computer?
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Mar 13, 2015 5:09pm
via Android

Life is for living...You dont get another one...this is it...our time is now. So as healthly as you want to be and indeed are....LIVE LIFE !

I dont drink much any more...once or twice in summer a cold beer Mmm which leads to rum or brandy with coke and next day waking with a sherry bottle in bed wtf...anyway drink a pint of water before you go to bed and you will NEVER get a hangover... Its caused by dehydration as your body is getting rid of the (toxic) alcohol.

Unfortunately 20 plus years experience the only cure for the eebie geebies in your belly is a good fried breakfast...its the grease lining your stomach and it never taste as nice.

Once in a while wont do you much harm but mentally it will boost you up...its a reward for hard work.

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 14, 2015 2:49pm
via Android

Thank you all! Had wine and first barbecue for the season yesterday. Bought and prepared healthy foods and have been eating better today. Got guilty conscience though because I feel I'm really not hungover enough to just lie on the sofa all day, but I can't muster motivation and energy to do anything useful. Love preparing fancy dinners, partying and drinking wine, HATE the feeling the day after.

14 Mar
We know who's organising the summer bbq then...Anna volunteered :-)
14 Mar
Lol. I love barbecues!
Icon_missing_thumb
22 Posts
Mar 15, 2015 8:12am
via Android
Love some vodka. Haha anyone wanna party?? Haha but seriously just stay hydrated. Listen to your body, try and convert the foods you mentioned (pizza, chocolate) into healthier versions. Eg dark chocolate, or pizza with more vegetables and perhaps a whole grain base. Your body is seeking calories/energy in order to repair itself from the alcohol (i.e. It need more calorie dense foods in order to get rid of the alcohol/toxins since it needs more energy than usual to process the alcohol). Junk food have lots of calories and therefore more energy. But it is definitely better to eat healthier foods that dont contain lots of sugar/bad fat. So after drinking, rest/recover, hydrate with lots of water and fruit. Eat lots of nuts and protein sources (veg, beans) Hot lemon water aids digestion, so may help process the alcohol? Not sure if that helps just trying to help haha. Its okay to treat yourself :) eat what you want but listen to your body!!
15 Mar
I actually managed to stay somewhat healthy yesterday, had a lot more carbs than usual but that's not gonna kill me. Only had four pieces of chocolate, a handful of sour candy and a tiny portion of potato chips. Other than that, real food and some fruit and I didn't exceed my calorie goal for the day. Staying hydrated is the hardest part for me, I drink too little water all the time.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51