Why do we eat unhealthy?

14 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 17, 2015 9:54am
via Android

So here's a question: why is it so hard to eat healthy? Why do some people have to struggle so much with it, while it comes more or less naturally to others?

Are there social or socioeconomic factors, like peer pressure or upbringing? Does it have to do with sense of self worth or confidence? Is there such a thing as sugar addiction, or is it a cognitive behavior that makes some people go for the short term reward that comes from eating while others can easily focus on longterm goals and wellbeing? Does it have to do with unhealthy food options surrounding us all the time, and some people finding it harder to say no? How come some can have a cheat day while others immediately resort to binge eating and falling back into old habits just from having a single piece of chocolate? Or is it something completely else?

Please discuss in groups. :)

17 Mar
For me personally, and as stupid as this sounds, but buying fast food was the easy way. I could just go and have food ready rather than make something at home. But of course, that can get expensive. So that's something that has motivated me to start cooking food at home. I try and prep for the next day and the Daylight Saving Time has actually helped because it's still light out when I leave the office.
18 Mar
Their are so many variables to that question that in order to simplify it you would have to write an equation... But the answer would be different everytime because no two situations would ever be identical...seeing as no two people are identical... I like this question it makes me think
18 Mar
When i'm feeling down i eat crap also around time of the month.
23 Mar
Very good question
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Mar 17, 2015 2:07pm
via iOS
because were pushed to eat unhealthy ma'am. America used to be healthy but it's turned most of it's people obese. I really feel bad for obese people because every 5 min there's a commercial on tv tell them that they have to eat.
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Mar 17, 2015 7:44pm
via Android

Habit. Tradition. Convenience. Taste.

18 Mar
Yep, healthy foods are more expensive and easily available. ..
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Mar 17, 2015 9:17pm
via Android

Easiest answer is cost and convenience.

Image_thumb
99 Posts
Mar 17, 2015 11:24pm
via Android

Well for me if i eat unhealthy its mostly because i don't have time. I have a family to cook for so making seperate meals for me is time consuming.

Then as well because eating healthy is more expensive.

And lastly bad food just tastes so good

Icon_missing_thumb
22 Posts
Mar 18, 2015 2:55pm
via Android

I think genetics and dna actually play a role in this. Also your personal upbringing and metabolism. But genetics do play a part

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 18, 2015 4:42pm
via Android

Speaking from my own point of view, when I was growing up, we were really poor...I was never "skinny" because my parents had to buy the cheapest food that they could to survive. Eating that way for so long makes you acquire a taste for it. I used to say all the time "when I move out, I'm never buying junk food again!" But it's not that easy. I've finally gotten to the point in my life where I feel like I can change this. My mouth still waters when I'm standing in line at walmart at all the candy at the registers but I finally know how to say no. If someone is determined to make a change, there is only one option. Put the snickers down and keep moving sister! Lol

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 18, 2015 5:23pm
via Android

Keep on sharing your thoughts! It's really interesting to see what theories you all have. :)

Icon_missing_thumb
280 Posts
Mar 18, 2015 11:31pm
via Android

To help maintain our temples heathy and energetic.

19 Mar
Eating unhealthy definitely doesn't keep anyone healthy or energetic..
Image_thumb
49 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 1:14am
via Android

As Hannah pointed it out, it is different for each person. For me, it is very easy to  say no to the snickers at the register when grocery shopping. At the same time, I have a high metabolic rate so I can get away with it for now once or twice a week. :)
However, I do keep tabs on my spending habits so that helps me from having too many cheat days.

Icon_missing_thumb
280 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 2:28am
via Android

I miss read the question. Sorry typo my actual answer would be because we are lazy and don't want to be accountable, some don't have much, and other's don't know.

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Mar 22, 2015 3:03pm
via Android

Unhealthy food is so delicious... Yummmm
Also the availability and promotion. Did you ever see a commercial of a food chain serving a healthy bowl of salads?

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Mar 22, 2015 3:56pm
via iOS
I was shocked at how much candy gets handed out to the kids at daycare & school in the U.S!! Where as the UK's problem is binge drinking the US problem is definitely sugar!!
22 Mar
I saw this thing on Facebook with pictures of school lunches from around the world. I was HORRIFIED by the US and UK lunches. It was like what kids here get at birthday parties.
22 Mar
I've completely weaned Erin's kids off having any candy in the evenings as a result of what I saw which she's one with. Don't get me started on the "lunches"!! I think that answers your question. It's because we are programmed to eat shit
22 Mar
Unfortunately people eat a lot of shit here too, but the school lunches are at least healthy so far. They sometimes hav the stuff like pizza or tacos or something for lunch (which was completely unheard of when I was a kid) but generally it's more or less like home cooked food with lots of vegetables etc. In my family we had candy only on Saturdays and soda was served on birthdays and holidays. But times have changed and we've "imported" the fast food and soda culture. I worked in a supermarket cash register for a couple of months last...
22 Mar
*have stuff
22 Mar
The UK's problem is alcohol. Binge-drinking is our killer
Image_thumb
334 Posts
Mar 22, 2015 6:51pm
via Android

Because it's Sunday and my cheat day!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51