Morning Breakfast Question.

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 3:21am
via Android

I love my breakfast, it is a must after my morning workouts. I've been having morning shakes with protein, oats, almonds/ walnuts, a banana, cashew milk & raw eggs (makes an awesome batter for pancakes too) I love my eggs! Does anyone know if I shld be buying organic eggs if I'm drinking them raw?

20 Mar
Organic is really just a trend. They aren't any better or worse for you. you just have to pay more for them. You are just fine buying the regular ones from and grocery store.
20 Mar
Dustin, there is research shoeing organic food contains more nutrients. I'm sure the chicken appreciate Tina eating organic eggs too. Even if it wouldn't make any difference nutritionwise it makes a huge difference for the animals and for the environment and nature too for that matter.
20 Mar
*showing goddamn autocorrect
20 Mar
I would avoid whole eggs as it is and stick to the egg whites or white substitute like egg beaters. The yolks are just fats you don't need.
20 Mar
It's true the yolk has a much higher percentage of fat, but the yolk also contains about every single nutrient and vitamin our body needs, apart from vitamin C. Theoretically it would be possible to live on eggs only combined with something rich in vitamin C!
Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 4:00am
via iOS
I don't eat eggs raw.  Not worried about salmonella, just does not appeal to me in the least!
20 Mar
I live life on the edge. That includes enjoying what I want. Not worried about salmonella either bc there's plenty of ways I cld be taken from this world, it's in God's hands. :)
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 5:16am
via Android

Ah, the Rocky myth :-)

First of all: yes, if you want to, you should by the organic ones. This is not just a trend, it's about laying hens having a greater probability of being contaminated with whatever bad you can imagine. Be it pathogens or antibiotics, you do the choice.

Secondly: no, you shouldn't drink them raw. Because there's no gain in having the raw product instead of the cooked version. The body doesn't utilise it better. Because there's a substance called Avidin, likeable to cause digestion problems. Because this substance binds the vitamin biotin which is important in metabolising fats, proteins and carbs. And yes, last but not least, there's the salmonella thing. This digestion booster is in the eggshell and destroyed by cooking (and so is the Avidin). If you have really fresh eggs and keep the inner away from the shell and use the organic version, the risk is low - I still wouldn't do it.

20 Mar
So having raw eggs would make your stomach work faster, if I understand correctly?
20 Mar
No, it may cause stomach ache and disturb healthy digestion
20 Mar
Ah okay. I was hoping raw eggs could help with my stomach issues. :)
20 Mar
Wow. Matthias! Very impressive response... just brings me down knowing I shouldn't be eating raw eggs. Not so much concerned with digestive problems but the specific words (I'm an accountant so don't expect me to remember anything but #s) that taunt me a bit. I really need to do some research on this. Thank you. Just disappointed a wee bit.
20 Mar
Thx Tina. Just trying to help the best I can. I'm not an expert though ((fund) accountant too btw), but I'm doing this for quite a time and read and experienced a lot myself. Good luck on your own research!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51