Eating Dissorders

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
22 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 7:48pm
via Android

A few years ago I developed an eating disorder known as purging. It is the practice of eating very little calories a day and exercising obsessively. In 2011 I slowly started to gain improvements but then faltered again due to stress. In 2013 I started working on it again and I increase my calorie intake to about 1,000 calories per day. Now I'm about 1,500-1,800 calories a day. I tend to eat a lot of low calorie foods. However, this is not the only health problem I have health-wise. I am also hypoglycemic. It's hard to get good results at the gym for me for two reasons. I never have enough energy and it doesn't last long. I get fatigued really quickly. I've always been quiet about my problems but I really want to get results and I know the first step is eating better. What are some good foods to bulk up on through out the day? I eat like 3 chicken breast at dinner and mostly fruit and vegetables and an egg or two when I get hungry before that.

01 Apr
Very brave to start a topic like this. I'd recommend you consider what they do for the very elderly when they are sick and can't eat much... High calorie drinks. If you google it you'll get some good options that'll provide 500cals+ per drink with a good mixture of protein/carbs/fats. You could consider mass gainer protein powder but I believe you should try this first.
01 Apr
Thank you. I tried opening up once before but was told I was just looking for attention because eating disorders don't occur in men. I will research the drink! I need to work on carbs anyways so if it supplies carbs that will be good!
02 Apr
Mate I feel for ya... Try to get some nuts into your diet... Add avocado to more meals and extra virgin olive oil into a bit more of your diet... Will help to up your calorie intake without adding a heap of extra food
02 Apr
Glen is right on. You need to add a little bit of good fats into your diet. Avocados and nuts are great and provide just that. Also when your working out to fight off that fatigue bring snacks with you to the gym. Work out for 30 mins and have break eat something like nuts and go back to working out. Eating disorders are no joke, but the good thing is that you are facing it and dealing with it. Keep up the great work and this will soon just be something in your past
02 Apr
And to add to Rachelle's point, banana chips would be good for your condition and lack of energy.
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Apr 1, 2015 8:58pm
via Android

Men tend to be macho and keep things like this secret....but you can be 100% assured your not alone...lots of men at times in their lives have done similar thing...

The stronger ones can face and talk about it.

...and maybe women will see we are more vulnerable than they think.

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 12:43pm
via Android

I applaud you for being so strong and choosing to talk openly about this! Heck, I've got so many tears in my eyes right now I can't see what I'm writing.

Big hugs to you, you're on the right track already and being open and honest will help you even more.

02 Apr
Thank you. I didn't intend to make anyone cry sorry but thank you :)
03 Apr
Hey I'm a really emotional person and easily moved to tears, no harm done. :)
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 8:07pm
via iOS
Here's some pasta you can keep your eyes open for (it caught my eye while we were shopping in Walmart).
"Healthy Harvest All Natural Rotini"

7oz of cooked pasta gives you 630 calories 136g of carbs, 31g of protein and 5g of fat. 

It's not expensive either. You can't go wrong with those calories/macros! 
02 Apr
Sweet! I'll have to check that out as well! Yesterday I bought a protein mix to add to smoothies. It's says to add 2 of the portioned cups per smoothie, but I don't think it's healthy to have too much. I just add 1 cup. Also, I decided I'm going to schedule my meals. I think this will help. I have eggs with salad in the morning (between 8-9) healthy gronola with greek yougurt around 10:30 then around 1 pm a sandwich or something of the like with pita chips and humus or tortilla chips and mixed nuts later at...
02 Apr
Yeah, the pasta was only a couple of $ I think which is a good few days serving for you. I have ground turkey when I need fats, or beef. You're doing great kid, well done.
02 Apr
$1.38 for 12oz (I'm in walmart now buying some! Lol)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51