Protein shakes getting foamy???

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
22 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 5:14pm
via Android

Sometimes when I make a protein shake I end up making too much to consume in one sitting so I just put the blender pitcher in the fridge and save it for the next day. I have always wondered what causes it to get foamy and have a bit of a bite to it. It's only a day old so surely it hasn't gone bad already. Does anyone know why this happens?

02 Apr
Well make sure it depends what product. But if ur doing a nutrition shake make it 3 ounces milk/water 2scoops of formula1/shake. And 2 protein scoops mix. Then add ice a Lil more water/milk. And it has to be at 8 ounces
02 Apr
I has to do with air emulsion. If you are blending your protein shakes when ur blender is not full, there will be more air inside so there is a higher surface tension. Think of it this way... the more empty space in your blender or cup then the more air... the more air, the more foam. When it sits in the fridge you might notice it has separated into 2 layers... the top will be foamy and the bottom will be liquid and that is because proteins separate without an emulsion factor like an egg or something. Try storing...
02 Apr
Kristy is kind of right. The reason for the bite is because of the breaking down of the bonds in the proteins. It happens because you exposed it to oxygen and enzymes, which will start to break the nitrogen bonds in the compound. It isn't denaturing, because that involves emenece heat or pH levels. And the emulsifier in eggs are for water and unsaturated lipids. Basically, it's going bad, and it will no matter what, just try and make less.
Image_thumb
66 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 5:58pm
via Android

What do you mean by foamy?

Image_thumb
22 Posts
Apr 2, 2015 6:30pm
via Android

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51