Vegetarian diet!

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
86 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 3:44am
via Android

Hi guys, i've been thinking about switching to a vegetarian diet for awhile now, and i think im finally going to do it.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? All help and advice is apprreciated!!

19 Apr
I personally am not a vegetarian, to be honest I am the complete opposite. I have had three friends attempt in a vegetarian diet and they failed miserably. All three were hospitalized. What I believe went wrong was their desire to replace meat with tofu and them continue on with the same diet. They were eating stuff like Tofu "Chicken" Burgers. I'd recommend eating foods that naturally do not contain meat. An Indian diet is largely vegetarian based, and those who eat this diet are quite healthy. So maybe try a few Indian recipes or other recipes from vegetarian cultures.
19 Apr
Tofu naturally does not contain meat.
19 Apr
I guess I should have been more clear. I am aware that Tofu does not consist of meat. Eat meals that originally do not have meat, if that recipe naturally has tofu then go for it. Just don't have tofu "chicken" burgers and fries and consider that good. Tofu does not contain the same nutrients as meat and can not be the only item that you add to your diet to replace the nutrients that meat provides.
20 Apr
I think that going vegetarian is a great idea if you want to lose some weight
20 Apr
Im not becoming a vegetarian to lose weight. Red meat has been proven to be linked with types of cancers and puts you at a higher risk for heart diseases, diabetes, high blood sugar, etc. Im doing this for my overall health!! (Watch forks over knives)
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 4:27am
via Android

I was a vegetarian for about 10 years and then switched to pescatarian for another 5 years.  I eat whatever now. But if there is anything you need help with let me know. You'll want to learn how to cook for starters.  Pick up some good multivitamins. Be sure to revolve your diet around protein or else your going to end up eating a lot of carbs. What helped me significantly is I live in Los Angeles so the variety of faux meat products is vast.

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 12:49pm
via Android

You should really use Google and read a couple articles. There are a few nutrients that a vegetarian diet can easily miss if you're not educated about it. Protein, calcium, and magnesium come to mind. They're easy to replace, either with food or supplements...

There have got to be like hundreds of good beginner vegetarian blogs & articles about the basics.

I was vegan for like five years and learned a lot about nutrition in that time.

Image_thumb
86 Posts
Apr 19, 2015 2:28pm
via Android

Actually, i have read some articles and watched a documentary, and if you have a balanced diet, your usually okay for getting your daily intake of protein and calcium.

19 Apr
Exactly. I have been a vegetarian for almost a year and I haven't had any health problems. Getting protein from a variety of sources like lentils, beans, tofu etc. helps ensure that you are getting different nutrients
19 Apr
What are some of your favourite recipes? How did you feel after you made this transition?
21 Apr
One of my favorite recipes would be lentil loaf. There are many variations, and they are really delicious. There's also a lot of really great vegetarian recipes like black bean enchiladas, stuffed peppers, chickpea curry etc. that you can find on blogs like ohsheglows.
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 4:37am
via iOS
I have been a vegetarian for almost 7 years. For a while I was worried that I wouldn't get enough nutrients and vitamins so at one point I got a really thorough blood test done. All my nutrient/cholesterol/blood sugar/ etc levels were really great. No problems. 

The only thing to watch out for on a vegetarian diet is to eat good food and not easy food. Cake is vegetarian but that doesn't mean it's better for you. Sometimes places like fast food don't serve any good vegetarian options besides fries but that won't fill you up at all! You need good variety and a lot of veggies. 
20 Apr
Thanks for that! I will keep that in mind! :)
Image_thumb
196 Posts
Apr 20, 2015 3:17pm
via Android

I don't think I could go without meat...I don't think I'd want to

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51