Soy! Is it making me crazy?

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
45 Posts
May 5, 2015 12:31am
via Android

OK, does anyone actually comprehend what they have been saying about soy and estrogen? I tried and I just don't understand.. I have been feeling extremely freakin crazy lately, think PMS x 100,000,000. I am trying to pub down why and I remembered someone mentioning something about soy messing with your hormones. I am using soy protein powder ( and flax seeds apparently have the same properties too which I am also consuming on a regular basis) . I tried looking it up on Google, and it was so complicated and I really didn't get an answer. Anyway if anyone knows what the deal is with soy , do you think its possible for it to cause me to have such severe mood swings?

05 May
Pin not pub :/
05 May
Wow I never though about that I'm taking soy too and my moods have changed but I never thought that had anything to do with it.
05 May
I hope we get some answers then lol! I've seriously been on the verge of a mental breakdown for the last couple days. Crying yelling getting mad everything!
05 May
Really? I've been thinking on buying soymilk and stuff ... Idk I've never messed with protein powders and stuff just all natural
Image_thumb
821 Posts
May 5, 2015 2:38am
via Android

Estrogen is found in some plants. This estrogen type hormone is not the same estrogen found in humans. So don't worry, soy protein powder is not affecting your hormones.  I was a vegetarian for a decade, no hormonal imbalance here.

05 May
Phytoestrogens do affect our body, there are estrogen supplements made out of eg soy. But that's of course in very high concentrations.
05 May
There has been a handful of studies done that I have read which have linked phytoestrogen to effect humans. However in extremely high doses and the patients effected have either been elderly or had type 1 diabetes. All studies on phytoestrogen with dosing patients in between regular and high levels of the plant estrogen have shown no sign of effects. In short you'll be fine if you are a healthy individual consuming soy based products.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
May 5, 2015 4:11am
via Android

Some people I've known claimed it made a noticeable difference to them. Only way to be sure is quit soy for a while, like maybe a month or more to allow chemicals to settle, then go back on for a while. Maybe try that a couple times for consistent definitive conclusions about whether it makes a difference or is just coincidence.

I use a protein called Sun Warrior, natural raw vegan. It's soy free.  Definitely pricier, and WAY less 'delicious' (think "drinking unsweetened pancake batter"),  than the whey based protein I also use, but it's an option if you want to avoid whey or other typical animal based proteins.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51