The Anabolic Window

3 posts | Original | Recent
821 Posts
Jun 4, 2015 9:15pm
via Android

So, you are familiar with the term? Great. But for those who are not familiar here is a quick run down.

30 mins - 2 hours after a workout, your body is more susceptible to absorbing the protein your body is fed. Meaning gainssss brahhh. Well that's what bro science has taught us thru the years and gym rats, trainers, supplement marketer's, hell even I abide by this gym law. In fact I never go without feeding my muscles protein 30 mins after a wo. But!, what we have believed for the last few decades, might be wrong..... whatttt? I know right.

Evidence has come to light that the anabolic window might last up to 6 hours after a workout. The study goes on to suggest that overall consumption of protein is way more beneficial than the timing of protein when your goal is hypertrophy. The study had individuals consume 0.6 grams of protein per lbs through out the day while training and had another group gorge on protein immediately after. The results were very similar in terms of muscle gain.

So what I take from this and what I have been questioning for the last year is does protein timing really make a difference? Not really, overall nutrition is king. And will always be king.

Brad Schoenfeld, et al. "The effect of protein timing on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a meta-analysis." Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2013

04 Jun
Excellent take-away, pertinent topic, and extra points for providing a reference. =)
04 Jun
06 Jun
Oh man! I've been rushing to load up on protein after the gym for nothing!
19 Jul
That's not surprising to me. It's the same with the "no eating after 6pm" nonsense. In fact your body doesn't care when he's fed (just that you might miss energy when not ate enough or too long ago), but only what and how much.
334 Posts
Jul 17, 2015 9:50pm
via Android

334 Posts
Aug 8, 2015 12:33pm
via Android

Time to bumpity bump bump

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51