Tired of the 105

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
215 Posts
Aug 31, 2015 7:36pm
via Android

Basically down to 105 lbs again.. So annoyed. Having a high metabolism is not the greatest thing ever. I want to gain weight and would like you know what foods I should be eating, etc. Yes. I've read the posts for this but really, it doesn't help me any other than making me extremely confused/frustrated.
Need someone who would be willing to walk me through all the details so I can have a better understanding of it all. I have done a small amount of research but that's where the frustration comes in.
I would like to be around 120-130 lbs if at all possible. And I am willing to do whatever it takes.. (again, if it is possible)

Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Aug 31, 2015 8:36pm

I'm assuming that you want to gain muscle weight. The basic concept of gaining is pretty simple - eat more than you burn. Here's a little more detail.

• Figure out how many calories you burn on average each day. I would recommend using a heart rate monitor to collect data for at least a week to figure out your daily burn.
  • Increase your caloric intake by 10% to gain mass.
  • Increase weight training - either heavy lifting or using lighter weights and doing your reps until failure. If you simply increase cardio, your metabolism is just going to get faster. Weight training done correctly creates larger muscles. Torn muscle tissue will repair itself and become larger than before. Muscle weight = lean body mass (this is the kind of weight you want).
  • Control the types of calories you're consuming. Load up on carbs and fats and you'll gain plenty of weight, but you'll also gain plenty of fat. Go with a balanced macronutrient approach focusing more on protein over carbs.
  • Be consistent. Most people who reach the point of doing cut/bulk cycles know the persistence it takes to make it happen. Stick with it. If you don't see changes within two weeks of adjusting your calories and macros, then change something but not drastic. Some people will go with as much as 15% higher than their daily burn. The bottom line is that you should stick with your bulk for 8-12 weeks. You will gain unwanted weight in the form of fat, but after your bulk you can do a cut cycle to reduce body fat.

I hope this helps Amber. Really, the key is to

1. Eat more than you burn.
  2. Hit the weights - HARD
  3. Eat the right kinds of food.
  4. Be consistent.

Good luck!

31 Aug
Thanks! What if I don't have a way to count how much I'm burning though? I guess that has been the problem
31 Aug
Yeah, you can use some online calculators that will generalize for you. IIFYM.com is one that comes to mind. And that may work for you if you're not too concerned about the specifics.
31 Aug
I will try that then.
01 Sep
Try using myfitnesspal. It's wonderfully accurate if you give it the time.
Image_thumb
33 Posts
Aug 31, 2015 8:55pm
via iOS
Do you eat foods with nutrients in? Because you may not be getting enough nutrients/ vitamins for your body to be able to grow muscle. And I guess you're also using body weight exercises as well. Do you lift weights? 
31 Aug
I don't track what I eat. I am going to start doing that for a week to see what everything calculates as. Then that should give me a place to start right? And I only have one dumbell I use right now for exercises that call for that.
31 Aug
You might want to start to, you can do wonders by tracking your food. And nutrients and healthy foods always help to improve your body in ways that are hard for you yourself to manage. How many kg/lbs are the weights?
31 Aug
Just 10lbs. And I started tracking before then quit for some reason
31 Aug
Try the app myfitnesspal to track what you eat and burn. Take a multivitamin/mineral supplement next to whatever you eat to be sure you get all you need. If you're not working out like some sort of pro-athlete you can just go for one that has everything around 100% of average daily needs. To much might be harmful as you also get alot through proper food. Proteines are your best friend. Search for high proteine, low fat food like tuna, turkey and cottage cheese. Check how much grams of proteines per kilogram of bodyweight per day you need. I'm not...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51