Protein sources. Some tips ?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
184 Posts
Oct 24, 2015 6:12pm
via Android

Do you guys know some protein sources apart from those shakes.

24 Oct
Chicken breast, egg whites, beans,.. look up google
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Oct 25, 2015 4:48am
via Android

All meats & fish are plentiful protein sources. More so than most ppl need, actually.
Eggs are good. Dairy a little less so, it varies. Like, cottage cheese is pretty good but milk is less.
I think after that you get into plant sources.
Nuts are good but it's best to consider nuts a fat (healthy fat) rather than a protein.
Beans, legumes, lentils...
There are protein foods derived from plants, like tempeh, which is the best soy source since it is fermented. Then tofu & other soy products. Seitan is a good protein if you're not gluten intolerant. Different kinds of burgers made from various plant sources. Then you get into more processed fake meat substitutes which can get weird. (not v healthy imo)
Then maybe brown rice and other whole grains, but it's not a lot. Those count for mostly carbs.

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Oct 25, 2015 2:48pm
via Android

Spirulina (58g/100g)
Dry roasted soy beans (40g/100g)
Lean beef (37g/100g)
Lamb (36g/100g)
Lean chicken and turkey (33g/100g)
Cheese (32g/100g)
Pork loin (30g/100g)
Beans (17g/100g)
Dairy (6g/100g)

Hope this helps. As far as protein supplements, I like Bolthouse Farms blended coffee. It's soy and whey proteins. I buy them in big bottles for about five bucks. One of them has 64g protein. I do half and half with water (it's thickened with carageenan so it's a little on the thick side for me but they taste good) and drink it throughout the day.

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Oct 25, 2015 6:57pm
via Android

Greek yogurt is among the best dairy sources (and is also delicious), but just take some time to read labels as it can vary widely and you need to balance the protein with the fat and sugar. Low fat is often better than nonfat because items less likely to have lots of added sugar making up for the fat. Yogurt is good for lots of other nutrients too!

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Oct 25, 2015 8:16pm
via Android

Cottage cheese has a bunch of protein.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51