Cravings are back and stronger than ever ...

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
38 Posts
Mar 7, 2016 7:08am
via Android

So... my craving for sushi is back and I'd eat it daily or every third day if I could
Ive read it has plenty health benefits but also read that there are things that one could be concerned about like mercury, eating too much white rice and all the sodium in soya sauce.
So... unless you're clued up or working as a nutritionist ... what's the deal?
Who else adores sushi?

07 Mar
Perfect solution. Do brown rice sushi;-) mann, I just had all you can eat sushi this weekend. From my favorite fresh spot. Nomnomnom
07 Mar
Interesting! But I haven't seen brown rice in the menu's of places I've been to. Do you think one can request it? Id love to try it with brown rice. Wont feel as guilty he he as I'm indulging
08 Mar
Yeah you can request it, sometimes they don't put it on the menu
Image_thumb
172 Posts
Mar 7, 2016 1:00pm
via Android

I loooooove sushis and understand fully your cravings lol. I personally have a preference for sashimi. The good thing about it is that I don't eat a lot of rice, the bad thing about it is that it is expensive to eat enough sashimi to be full:-) I take a few sushi just to make it less painful for my wallet but 80% of a meal would be sashimi. I refrain myself to 2-4 times a week, the rest of the time I would have fish or seafood grilled or thai cooked or vegetarian food. I do not eat meat at all.

07 Mar
Yes, I was advised to eat more sashimi if I'd like to cut out all that rice but honestly it's harder for me haha... I love Californian rolls, fashion sandwiches, salmon roses etc. But Ill def need to reduce the rice consumption (since I love rice and potatoes in general and cant seem to tire from it ):-) I've also cut out meat... or rather red meats. Still have the occasional chicken but I feel better :-) ... thank you for your response. Sushi totally rocks my taste buds
Image_thumb
195 Posts
Mar 7, 2016 5:26pm
via Android

I'd say stick with your sushi but keep an eye on total cals consumed! If you add some greens it doesn't get much healthier than that!

07 Mar
I agree! Keeping up with calories seem like a mission though he he :-)
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Mar 7, 2016 11:44pm
via Android

I would recommend your own continued research into these, but I've read & studied enough to believe, for now, that worrying about sodium intake is mostly pointless. There are so many other more important factors when it comes to blood pressure and health that you only should worry about sodium if you are really in the danger zone. That being said, too much of anything isn't a good thing... My brother says he noticed a distinct improvement in his skin when he cut down on salt (but that was also cutting down on things like chips so take that with a grain of salt haha)
Try to get enough potassium in your diet, as the body uses potassium in its process of balancing sodium and it's really potassium that most ppl don't get enough of.

As for white rice, do a Google search for "t nation brown rice" and read their article. It's quite short and to the point, which is that brown rice isn't as great as ppl think, and white is actually superior. There is a lot of conflicting info out there but most of it seems to be about how brown rice is so great and white inferior that it was really interesting to read this opposing info.

Mercury content is the only thing I haven't read up on enough to say either way.

Enjoy your sushi!

08 Mar
There is a lot more to each individuals nutritional needs than 'rice is good/bad' and that author encourages athletes mostly lifters to eat rice but he says other ppl should probably just eat more vegetables for carbs.
08 Mar
Thank you so much for your input. I will read through some more articles and also read up on the mercury thing. I've noticed you comment on plenty forum topics and you seem pretty clued up on most topics. So thanks. :-) I'll take the time to read. Also reading topics on Asian type foods and they're usually healthy, the more traditional foods.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51