Ideas for beginners

1 post | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
953 Posts
Mar 14, 2016 5:07am
via Android

Every time I log into skimble forums I see the same questions. "Where do I begin?" "what do i eat?" "how do I lose weight?"

Well have you heard of coursera? It's a website where you can take free online courses, in many different subjects. You can learn computer programming, or music production, psychology, even some languages... There are many courses, offered by universities around the world, for free!

Anyway, the reason I bring it up here is because I recently finished the coursera class "Stanford Introduction to Food and Health."
While I personally found the course to be rather basic for my level, I still learned a couple interesting things, plus I could really appreciate how well the course was presented, with interesting variety and well produced videos.

If you are new to the whole "fitness" lifestyle, I would highly recommend checking out this free course. It gives some very good foundational guidelines of where to begin with developing healthy food habits.

I know this is a workout app, but anyone who knows anything about health knows that your diet and nutrition plays a much bigger role in health than exercise. "You can't outrun a bad diet" is a popular saying for a reason.

If you're the kind of person who I see so often in these forums, who doesn't know where to begin, who doesn't know what or how to eat for health, this course is definitely for you.

It is scheduled over four weeks, with a series of short videos and one short quiz per week. The quizzes are simple, like four questions. You could probably watch all the videos for the entire course, and do the quizzes, in one weekend if you were in a rush.

Check it out, it's free, and actually quite well done. I've taken a few coursera courses and this one was probably the best as far as how well it was produced.

Just type 'Coursera' into your browser and you'll be sure to find it. The course name is, again, "Stanford Introduction to Food and Health"
You've got nothing to lose!

And for the old-timers, any other ideas for beginners on where to go for all those ultra-basic questions we always see?

15 Mar
Good post
21 Mar
Very good post... and yet... people are still asking the same questions daily... sigh
05 Aug
hey my name is john abd im from a lil town and i cant afford work out equiment nd i would really like to start working out and so i wanna ask do u think u can help me
07 Aug
hi John I sent you a message
07 Aug
i sent a message but it siad u disabled ur messages

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51