Protrein? Before or After?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Apr 13, 2016 6:05pm
via Android

What is best to build muscle? Is take protein shakes before workout or after I do my workout?

13 Apr
you should do proten befour and after that is what mt parents do
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Apr 13, 2016 7:01pm
via Android

Compete my exeisec at ten years later marriage nakiai
Age 39 year old I have  good time
Whan I am to big younge
And good
To big favouies day wednesday 18th august 2021
Red with flowers rose l love me frist and have love england best and wedding marriage nakai happy good marriage
Time at 12 :00am wednesday favouies day 

happy birthday wish
I am going been 40 years old in 2022
Favouies day thursday
l england love best boyfriender
He come after me that shia

Image_thumb
50 Posts
Apr 13, 2016 7:44pm
via Android

I drink a high protein drink of 40g (isopure) after my workout then i have 1 cup of egg whites with breakfast. I have other things to eat as well but these two things are giving me the most protein in that meal

13 Apr
To answer your question though, take it after. You can have a quick meal of protein before too, it wont hurt you
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Apr 13, 2016 10:11pm
via Android

Sonething light with good carbs and protein before for energy, then protein right after.  You have about 2 hours after weight training that your body directs whatever you eat towards rebuilding/bulking up on the muscles you just used.  After 2 hrs food gets directed to more "essential for living" functions again.

02 Jun
This isn't true.
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jun 1, 2016 10:39pm
Short answer, before and after. The others gave some good info/tips.
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Jun 2, 2016 5:17am
via iOS
This is a touchy subject for some but I am going to give you the basic answer. If you want to build muscle: then you should take it after. You have a 30 min window to drink a protein shake to recover from the tearing you did on your workout. 

Now, to recover from a workout you also need a ration 4:1 carbs to Protein. I mean fast absorbing carbs. Not the bad carbs. 

This will allow you to recover your energy faster and reples ish your muscles.

Before a workout you should drink a pre workout or if you just want to gain mass drink more protein. But if you just a normal person trying to get tone or adding up to 10 pounds of muscle. Drinking your shake after with fast absorbing carbs it will be fine. By the way i use a great line: https://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BBPerfStack?referringRepId=133627

Its the official stack of the Ironman series. 
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jun 2, 2016 10:27am
via Android

I second Robert, don't forget to have carbs right after your workout as carbs help more than protein.

10 Jun
You have any links to whst you mean to carbs help more than protein? Help more for what?
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jun 2, 2016 2:27pm
via Android

You should focus on your overall protein, carb fat and thus kcal intake.
This is way more important for your overall progress. Than having a shake before or after. Dont get me wrong, timing does to a degree matter. But it's not the most important thing to focus on! If your overal intake is too low, timing doesn't even matter.

There are however a few things which hold value.

Try to get protein in every meal you have. A good aim would be to try go for 20 grams per meal. This makes sure there is enough protein to get muscle protein synthesis optimal.

Eat a meal within 4,5 hours after your workout. The so called anabolic window isn't that narrow. But going to bed after a workout within food after it, isn't good for the gains.

Eat enough protein per kilogram of bodyweight. Make this higher when you are cutting bodyfat. I would say at arround 1,5 when you are bulking and at 2 grams per kg bodyweight when cutting down.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51