Feedback--eating too little?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Aug 16, 2016 5:57pm
via iOS
Need feedback!!

I think I have determined I have been eating too little calories. I weigh 175 and I've been eating 1200 to 1400 cal a day. On workout days I burn about 600 cal and don't replace those. I started thinking about when I had success dieting and I was eating about 1600-1800 cal at this weight. I started increasing my calories this week hoping to see results. I'm incorporating 1-2 protein shakes for some of my calories. First question, should I expect to gain weight initially? Second question, how long until you would expect I might see weight-loss? My basic plan is to be at about a 500 cal net deficit each day and focus on adding protein.
Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Aug 17, 2016 6:36pm
via Android

Hi Jessica.

It's good that you are aware of what you are eating. And to add, I think you are right. 1200/1400 is not enough of kcal. Specially with an active lifestyle and working out.

Have you ever calculated what your maintainance level is kcal wise? Because without it it's really hard to say just weight, without age, length and level of daily activity. I can't tell if you will gain or lose weight on 1800 kcal(or whatever number).

Also your training matters. Is this strength training? Marathon running or some mixed or in between. Losing weight is a number game. But it's not just the numbers that matter.

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Aug 24, 2016 1:59pm
via iOS
I have gone with the assumption that my maintenance calories are 12 cal/lb of body weight. That puts me at 2100 to maintain. I did a maintenance calculation on body building.com & it said 1900 cal. 

I do 2 one hour HIIT workouts with weights & cardio. I also do two 30 min(or longer if possible) workouts of weights or cardio or a mix of both. 
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Aug 24, 2016 2:02pm
via iOS
I'm doing Scotty K's dare to shred workouts from this app right now for 1-2 weekly workouts. 
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Aug 24, 2016 2:50pm
via Android

If you are talking about eating too few calories to lose weight, then I'm sorry, but you've been misled by a very popular fitness myth.

If your goal is weight loss, and you're not losing weight, it's never because you are eating too few calories. That goes against the basic laws of physics. People will talk about starvation mode and your body conserving calories, and it all sounds vaguely logical, but it's actually all wrong. In fitness, there is no starvation mode. In the real world, starvation mode happens to people who are literally starving to death. Its effects are very subtle, and it certainly doesn't halt weight loss, it merely delays death by a matter of hours/days.

Despite what many people still believe and repeat to reach other, the reason they are not losing weight is not that they are eating too little, it is that there was a miscalculation made somewhere. Always. Miscalculations in calorie counting are practically guaranteed to happen, since calorie counting is very much NOT an exact science. We use estimated values for every single element in our calculations.

If your goal is weight loss and you're not losing weight, the easiest fix is to adjust your calculations using a lower maintenance level, until you start seeing the results you expect. This may give you what seems to be a surprisingly low maintenance level, which is actually an untrue value, but you're not using that value to achieve maintenance, it's simply a tool to achieve the goal of weight loss.  However, if this bothers you too much, you can choose to adjust your exercise calories to lesser values instead (I would try half), or your food calories to higher values, it all ends up doing the same thing, I just think adjusting one value is easiest.

Now, there is a whole other side of things which involves cheat days and refeeds and other tricks to get the most of your metabolism and mental stamina for dieting, but those are a different matter altogether, and are not related to the idea of eating too few calories to lose weight, which, again, is a myth.

Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Aug 24, 2016 5:46pm
via Android

Another basic question is are you losing weight now? Because I had the feeling you were asking because you weren't feeling Allright with the amount of food you were now eating.

Patrick is right. You never eat to les kcal to lose weight. If you aren't now. It's most likely you under reporting what you eat. Or over estimating what you burn in workouts.

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Nov 10, 2016 7:59am

Thank you for sharing this.

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Nov 27, 2016 2:24pm
via iOS
If you're working out almost every day burning 600 calories per workout, you might be putting too much stress on your adrenal system. Get your cortisol checked. If it's high then reduce your workouts and try relaxation techniques like meditation. Or switch up your workouts. Try yoga or spinning or hiking. Sometimes when we do the same workouts over and over we hit a plateau. 

Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51