Protien powders and other supplements

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
69 Posts
Feb 6, 2017 6:06pm
via Android

Yesterday Costco had some samples and i tried a protien powder called VEGA protien and greens (vanilla). They had it mixed with almond milk. Compared to the only protien powder i have had (bodyfortress ) i thought it tasted great! (Reminded me of cereal milk) I'm new to the world of protein powders and supplements. So I'd really like some input on this.

Is one kind better than another? (Whey, plant based, whatever else there is)
By better i mean what you get out if it.
Flavor obviously helps but even i learned with the crap i bought at Walmart that i can add bananas and other things to give it good flavor.

I keep seeing things like preworkout, and recovery, and meal replacement ect.. Do i need to worry about these? Or are these companies just trying to squeeze more $$ out of people lol.

I am trying to keep added sugars and unnecessary fat at a minimum other than what i get from real food. (Meats/fruit/veggies) i am also trying to cut out gluten best i can. It bloats me so bad.

I'm probably over thinking it and to be honest I'm a bit intimidated to walk into a supplement store and ask. I would kind of like to know what they are trying to sell me.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

07 Feb
Hey Nikki! I just wanted to say that it all depends on your goals. People use them to increase muscle mass, improve overall body composition and help meet their protein needs. So 'Whey isolate' is quickly digested, providing a rapid rise in amino acids that may help increase muscle mass and strength. It may also reduce appetite and promote fat loss. On the other hand you have Casein protein is a slow-digesting dairy protein that may reduce muscle protein breakdown and promote muscle mass growth and fat loss during calorie restriction. And then Egg white protein contains high-quality protein that...
Image_thumb
1047 Posts
Feb 7, 2017 12:11pm
via Android

Not to sound to negative but try Google. This is such a well written about subject. It's not hard to find al your answers needed.

Image_thumb
1016 Posts
Feb 7, 2017 6:06pm
via Android

You can compare amino acid profiles, sugar and additive content, or simply protein grams per dollar, in the end what most proteins offer is a supplementary source of protein to help those having difficulty conveniently meeting their protein intake goals.

If you don't have a certain amount of protein you're trying to eat in a day, they are little more than a "healthy" snack.

If you're training, and paying attention to how much protein you eat, and want an easy way to boost that, then protein powders are pretty good. Many articles out there tout whey as the supreme protein but there is a multi-million dollar industry behind there somewhere so take that with a grain of salt... if you're eating well and looking for simply a boost, then almost any protein should do the trick.

As for all the other supplements and stuff, yeah, some offer a slight edge to competitive training, many others are overpriced gimmicks designed to part you from your money. If you're an average person looking to exercise and get healthier, generally speaking, most are a waste, especially when you could be dedicating that time and energy to much more effective strategies like nutrition (eating well) and rest.

Image_thumb
36 Posts
Jun 17, 2017 5:26pm
via iOS
Are you taking a daily multivitamin? It's a supplement that just about everyone should take, in addition to eating as healthily as you can. I prefer an ORGANIC, non-GMO multivitamin that is formulated specifically for women. The one I use - New Era brand- also has two formulas for women based upon their age group (under and over 40). I like the way New Era describes how they create their vitamins. They create them with a lot of care. Other than that, you may want to be tested by your doctor to see whether you have any deficiencies or special needs. THEN look for foods and supplements that might help.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,219 topics, 38,282 posts

Motivation & Support

8,522 topics, 41,761 posts

App Updates

14 topics, 44 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts

Workouts and Programs