Protein for Vegetarian

19 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
16 Posts
Feb 17, 2013 10:10pm
via Android

I've been a vegetarian ever since i was 14... Long time. But still haven't mastered how to get meatless protein. I have anemia so deff need to figure this out! Anybody have yummy suggestions?

17 Feb
Soya!
17 Feb
Milk?
17 Feb
highest protein for veggitarin...soy..so tofu soy bwans or products...milk..and beans. hope rhat helps
18 Feb
Anything that comes in a shell, like nuts, or most beans. Or try a slim fast shake. Good for vitamins also. I usually drink a couple a week, just because i know i do not eat right all the time. You can also mix flaxseed into many foods. Or a simple protein supplement, just check into them first. Just because the label lists a higher protein amount does not mean our our bodies will absorb it all.
Image_thumb
129 Posts
Feb 17, 2013 10:23pm
via Android

Have you tried tofurky? Don't remember the name but, there are some shakes that are made of veggies and have protein as well. The Vitamin Shoppe has great products on soy protein as well.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 17, 2013 11:02pm
via iOS
Don't over do it on soy products or mock meat products... While there are a lot of good ones now, they are just as bad as processed meats. Do eat a lot of nuts and beans. You're looking for iron if you are anemic , you can get that from dark leafy greens. I take iron supplements from food sources, like new chapter every woman's support.
Tempeh is great, but hard to learn how to cook. I eat a combo of stir fry with tofu, something with beans, a lot of veggies and lentils. I do love the Morningstar fake bacon too! Try quinoa instead of rice you can get iron from that. Check what you actually need in terms of protein vs what you get, you may be surprised that you might be close to what you need.
17 Feb
Shows that have a lot to learn as well. I know stuff to eat but its hard to do it by myself with no other support
14 Mar
Starli B is right, it is iron you need for anemia rather than protein. The NHS website says that good vegetarian sources of iron are beans, nuts, dried fruit, such as dried apricots, wholegrains, such as brown rice, fortified breakfast cereals, soybean flour and most dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale. They also said that although many people think spinach is a good source of iron, it also contains a substance that makes it harder for the body to absorb the iron from it. Similarly, tea and coffee contain a substance that can make it harder for...
Skimble-workout-trainer-profile-micah-greer-7_thumb
465 Posts
Feb 18, 2013 5:09pm

Great post Starli B. 

Samantha, aside from whey protein, you can also purchase plant based proteins such as brown rice protein, pea protein, and hemp protein powders to supplement in your nutrition. You can even find them with no sugar, which is ideal. Let me know if you have any questions!

Image_thumb
157 Posts
Feb 18, 2013 6:46pm
via Android

The protein that I use is designed specifically for people who are skipping meals or need more nutrition in their diet. And it tastes like dessert! You can watch the videos and private message me or just click Join and you will find a lot more information www.90daypersonalmastery.com

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Feb 20, 2013 2:19am
via Android

My favorite is Pure Green Protein. Good consistency and flavor. Each serving is 20 g of protein and delivers 15 mG of iron as well. Used to use vega protein powders ( which r veg). They r well regarded but their consistency was always too thick for me.

If you have been veg for awhile, your diet probably has good sources of veg protein, but if not, try increasing your protein thru your food intake as well.  Protein sources we like to mix in around here : seiten, tempeh, lentils, beans and nuts.

Image_thumb
32 Posts
Feb 20, 2013 2:41am
via Android

So does that mean u dont eat eggs? I was told theres a lot of protien in those. Wat do i no tho i eat anything that fills my belly lol

20 Feb
Your right Erik. Eggs are a great source of protein. Egg whites are very close to being entirely protein.
Image_thumb
1 Post
Feb 22, 2013 4:44pm
via iOS
I used to be vegetarian. I learned peanuts and tofu are some good proteins :)
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Feb 22, 2013 5:37pm
via Android

Hi Sam, try weekly b-12 shots, beet juicing, tomatoes for your anemia and make sure you do your research on GMO's since you are limiting your diet from animal nutrients make sure what you do eat is actually REAL and not made as a science experiment messing with the DNA of your food. Good luck there are many healthy vegetarians that manage to have balance in their diet without any deficiency issues.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 22, 2013 6:43pm
via iOS
Goto and Indian grocery store and search for 
Toor dal
Google for recipes

You can't go wrong with a diet tried and tested by millions of People over hunderds of years in India 

Best part it's very economical and no known allergens side effects or any kind of processing 
22 Feb
Arun is this for anemia or protein??
22 Feb
It's for protein While consuming Decent quantities of dal eat something with c vitamin Like orange lemon etc Stay away from pills Ur just paying for expensive urine
22 Feb
Forgot to mention If u eat c vitamin sources with dal or other legumes you should be able to address anemia
Image_thumb
81 Posts
Feb 22, 2013 9:09pm
via Android

Soy protein!!!! Soy beans and for your anemia get iron! Anemia is due to your blood being low in iron

Image_thumb
385 Posts
Feb 27, 2013 7:25am
via iOS
I used to eat meatless hot dogs from Kroger, when I went vegetarian for a while..made from soybeans & had plenty of protein like 20gms. Not bad tasting either.. Spaghetti squash with marinara or Alfredo sauce is excellent. Eggplant lasagna is fantastic, without meat of course hahahaLOL!
Image_thumb
38 Posts
Feb 27, 2013 10:52pm
via Android

Quinoa is a complete protein. Use it in place of other grains. Cooks the same as rice.

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Feb 28, 2013 12:03am

Quinoa can be awesome. I tried this receipe with golden quinoa instead of black. Wow - made it 2X in one week it tasted so good! http://www.sassyradish.com/2011/11/quinoa-with-brussels-sprouts-and-pumpkin/

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Mar 3, 2013 11:49pm
via iOS
Spinach! ^.^
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 4, 2013 1:24am
via Android

Chia seeds! They have four times the amount of protein than salmon!!

Icon_missing_thumb
31 Posts
Mar 4, 2013 2:29am
via iOS
I am vegetarian too. I eat a lot of eggs and nuts. Once a week or so I eat tuna but that's it for meat. I tried getting a b12 shot once but my arm was bruised for a week so I stopped that. Quinoa is really yummy if you haven't tried it.
Image_thumb
86 Posts
Mar 4, 2013 1:02pm
via iOS
I've been a vegetarian for twelve years and am just starting to find things I actually like for protein. I think quinoa is disgusting and I am nervous to eat too many soy products as they can alter your estrogen levels. My favourites are pinto and black beans (mm black bean burgers!), baked tofu (occasionally), almonds, pistachios, Wowbutter, and once a week I have salmon or a white fish. (I went veg head because I can't stand meat but I still adore fish so it's a big part if my diet!). As for anemia, I was also and ended up having to take an iron supplement for a few weeks and now I find it in a multivitamin, spinach, Nori (i eat a lot of vegetarian sushi lol) and protein powders
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Mar 14, 2013 1:18pm

There is big problems for the vegetarians that they don't like to eat most of the protein foods which come from the animal.

For the vegetarians there are various veggies protein foods which they can use for their muscles building purposes.

They can eat green vegetables, green beans, nuts, protein shakes etc for getting the natural protein.

Personal Trainer Maitland

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51