Mount Edgecumbe is the current name of a long-dormant volcano located at the southern end of Kruzof Island, Alaska, of which it is the highest point. It had for centuries been known to the native Tlingit people as L’ux, and was given the name Mount San Jacinto ("Mount Saint Hyacinth") by Spanish explorer Juan de la Bodega in 1775. It was subsequently renamed by British Captain James Cook in 1778, probably for George, Earl of Edgecumbe. Mt. Edgecumbe is a local landmark and a tourist attraction.
Mount Edgecumbe can be easily ascended in a day hike. Although finding marine transportation from the nearby town of Sitka to Kruzof Island is often the biggest obstacle, once hikers reach the island and the Mt. Edgecumbe's trailhead of Fred's Creek, the trip to the base of volcano is relatively flat passing over relatively open expanses of muskeg. There is a three-sided shelter at about mile 3.5, halfway to the mountain and a small campsite right before the final ascent. At about mile six, the climb begins. Soon tree line is achieved and a series of posts guide hikers through the scree. The top is quite barren and winds can be suddenly awoken so it is advisable to bring shelled clothing.
The trail and original cabin were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
- 7220 BC
- 3810 BC
- 2220 BC ±100 years
On April 1 1974, a local prankster named Porky Bickar flew in and ignited 100 old tires in the crater, convincing nearby residents of Sitka, Alaska that the volcano was erupting.