Recent Posts by Alison E.

10552453_10152287905617894_7336545304856811134_n_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 30, 2014 3:12am

Workouts and Programs / Hiit workouts for fat loss

I usually create my own workouts & really love doing the strength/anaerobic combo best.

Take 10-15 minues include 2-3 exercises that use opposing muscle groups using a weight 10 reps for, do about 5 reps of each exercise resting only as needed, see how many rounds you can do within that time frame. For example, one upper body pushing exercise such as chest press, push up or military press; one pulling exercise such as an inverted row or dumbbell row and a legs exercise such as squats, deadlifts or lunges. Keep track of the number of rounds completed within the timeframe and try to best it next time.

Other times I'll do tabata rounds with any given cardio type exercise such as rowing, kettlebell swings, stationary bike, elliptical, burpees, jumping jacks, push ups etc. Just go as hard as you can for 20 seconds, take a 10 second rest, continue for 8 rounds in total, 4 minutes. You can string 4-5 tabata rounds together using different types of exercises just make sure you rest between each round, maybe 1 -2 minutes.

Other times I'll just go for number of reps per exercise and/or time and do a small circuit. For example, tonight I went to the gym with no plan but knew I wanted to increase my heart rate so did 3 reps of 1-arm snatches with a lunge per side, 10 one-arm kettlebell swings per side, lateral bounding onto bosus 10 reps in total, 10 pushups with my hands on a bosu and 1 foot on a stability ball, 10 kettlebell renegade rows, and 10 bodyweight hip thrusts off a swiss ball with 1 foot raised arms extended and locked over my head. My heart rate was up at 160 bpm. I took a 1 minute rest between each round and went for 5 rounds.

9 Posts
Nov 28, 2014 1:52pm

Workouts and Programs / Squats and lunges

Walking lunges with dumbbells are great, lean forward slightly hinging at your hips  and sink as deeply as you when you lunge to hit the hamstrings and hip flexors more than your quads. Split squats and bulgarian split squats also work well & you can either hold the dumbbells at your sides or hold 1 dumbbell goblet style up by your chest. High step ups work the hams well also and again you can use 1 DB goblet style or hold both at your sides. Try Romanian deadlifts with dumbbells and your couldstand on a riser or something to give yourself height from the floor to hit the hams more.

9 Posts
Nov 28, 2014 1:45pm

Workouts and Programs / Pain..... Squats

If your knees are hurting, could it also be that you are caving your knees inwards, pronating them, when squatting down? Have someone knowledgable check your form, perhaps a trainer?, for correct squat technique. Stick to bodyweight until form is perfect then add weight slowly to progress, upping weight in an increment of 5% to a maximum of 10 lbs. Check your form in a mirror, maybe video yourself if possible and compare against 'perform form pictures/videos' also can help you to see where you're going wrong.

You could also try box squats but personally I prefer using risers just to tap your butt down onto then immediately stand back up.  The great thing with risers is you can start higher then keep removing 1 riser at a time to really practice getting the squat movement/pattern down pact and create muscle memory.

A couple of other tips I got were:

Focus on pushing your knees outward as you squat down, you're not actually moving your knees/legs out but contract your muscles & push outwards. For this part maybe try putting a light circular resistance band around your quads just above your knees as a reminder to push out.

When coming out of your squat, remember to squeeze your glutes together hard, feel like you've got to keep a pencil from falling down lol.

28 Nov
Thank you so much for the tips Alison! :-)
9 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 6:24am

Diet & Nutrition / Supplment ?

I take a daily multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D in the winter months, October to April. usually I plam my workouts before my meals so don't normally supplement pre/post workouts but on the days where this doesn't work I'll bring some protein powder or hard boiled eggs and some fruit. 

i usually also add some flax or chia seeds my morning yogurt to make sure I'm getting some extra omega 3 into my diet.

9 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 6:12am

Weight Loss / Someone help me

I was overweight also a few years ago. I lost the weight by cleaning up my diet sticking with whole foods, eliminating sugar, drinking water, tea and coffee only. In the grocery store shop only on the outside aisles for fresh produce and meats and be very careful about what you add to your cart on the inside aisles. Beans, canned fish, frozen veg, seafood, fruit, spices, are all good choices. Avoid heavily processed foods including most of the so-called low fat diet options. Don't eat it if it has more than 3 steps of processing and or ingredients you can't pronounce It. I used a free nutrition and exercise tracker tokeep a handle on exactly what my intake versus calories burned were. For exercise, I started slowly with walking, varying speed from a relaxed pace to brisk walk and modified body weight exercises such as push-ups from my knees or against the wall. Over time, I gradually went to jogging, sprinting, and using barbells, dumb bells and kettle bells Doing high intensity cardio workouts, heavier weights and more compkex advanced versions of body weight exercises. 

I wish you all the best on your journey. You can do this, just be consistent and remember any changes you make should become your new habits For life. Don't try to change everything at once, take it one step at a time and you'll Get there. 

9 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 5:55am

Help / I'm sooooo sore ...

I complete a dynamic warmup that increases my heart rate and that mimics the movements I will use in my workout. For example, body weight squats before I do barbell squats. I keep my workouts to no longer than 60 minutes and perform static stretches as needed after my workout. I also use a foam roller and lacrosse ball before and sometimes after I workout and on off days perform light mobility drills, more rolling, and/or do some yoga, Pilates or just go for a long walk, get some air, play a recreational sport, etc. 

while I believe in working hard during a workout I don't believe in the no pain no gain mentality. I believe in gradually increasing loads, reps, decreasing rest time, etc. and always leaving your exercise set knowing you have 1 or 2 more reps left in you. Over time, your body will adapt and you'll be able to increase your weights, reps, sets, etc. 

get plenty of ready, eat whole nutritious and minimally processed foods (lwith no more than 3 stages of processing) drink water, eliminate sugars and heavily processed foods and don't eat it if you can't pronounce it/don't know what it is.

9 Posts
Nov 22, 2014 5:22am

Workouts and Programs / Putting together program

I stick mostly with compound exercises which give you the biggest bang for your buck. The only machines I use are cables and the assist pull-up/dip machine. Using free weights, dumb bells, kettle bells, barbells means your body has to  work harder tostabilize itself. most of the exercises I do are squats, lunges, rows, planks, presses, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, deadlifts, glute bridges, hip thrusts, snatches, cleans, crawls, kb/db swings. There are many variations of these exercises Using either just body weight or free weights. For cardio, I often mix it up from sprints to skipping to kb swings, rowing, various body weight exercises ie. burpees, thrusters, jump squats, box jumps, skipping and lunges to kb swings. I also round out my workouts with balance and agility work using low hurdles, ladder and cone drills, bosu and Swiss ball balancing exerciseS. i train using both bilateral and unilateral exercises For example sometimes doing a two armed chest press and other times doing a one arm or alternating arm chest press. At the end of the day I firmly believe in consistency, working hard but not to failure leaving 1-2 reps left in the tank, keeping track of your progress, having a plan and learning proper exercise form to get the most from your workout while preventing injury. proper nutrition and adequate rest and recovery are even more important than the workout itself or you risk sanotaging the hard work you've done.

28 Nov
Thanks for replying. Alternating unilateral and bilateral exercises seems like a great idea!
9 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 3:08am
via iOS

Motivation & Support / Your Favorite push ups?

Explosive push-ups rotating clockwise with each push. feet elevated on a Swiss ball and arms holding onto a dome side down bosu. one foot on ground and other leg raised while my arms are supported and holding a Swiss ball.  using a Swiss ball place a bar across it with one foot on floor and other foot raised off the floor. Dive bomber push-ups, diamond push-ups, weighted push-ups, band push-ups...... With so many variations it's difficult to choose one favourite.
9 Posts
Nov 21, 2014 2:53am
via iOS

Motivation & Support / Kettlebells?

Love using kettle bells, bring a whole new range of exercises and movement to my workouts.