Pushups help

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 17, 2013 2:20am
via Android

I'm a seriously ashamed to see I cant just do pushups . Any help how can I make myself capable of doing pushups

17 Nov
First how many can u do.
17 Nov
If u can't do a lot then work urself up first try 5 then go for 10 then 15 and up up
17 Nov
U dont have to be Ashemed that u can't do push-ups when I first starred doing it I was only able to do 5 then I practiced everyday and I worked on it
17 Nov
Well some of my friends cant do them either and it's not like they are weak and thin..but in my opinion the correct position is important anndd it shoild be easy once you get used to using that part of muscle
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Nov 17, 2013 2:57am
via Android

I believe the rotator cuff is the unsung hero to pushing exercises. Strengthen your rotator cuff and pushing will be easier

Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Nov 17, 2013 3:18am
via Android

Start off with knee pushups. Do as many as you can. It is important that you try the full pushup as well. Everyday. Even if you tremble, shake, and can't go down all the way or push yourself up-- TRY. The more you practice the stronger you will get. Push up pulses are good to do. Don't forget your form and good luck!

17 Nov
I used to be ashamed too. I was never able to do a push up until 3 mo ago I tried what I said above and I was able to do 5-8 pushups in 2 weeks.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Nov 17, 2013 7:16am
via Android

You can do pushups on raised surfaces to be able to do more reps, which helps you not get frustrated and give up, and helps build strength as you get lower (lower means more weight is on your arms not your feet)

Try pushups leaning against a wall first. Try five sets of five every other day or two (you need to rest to build) and add one or two each time so your progress looks like:
And so on.

You have to kind of guess at your progress, maybe you'll go faster than this, sometimes you'll add a few on the first set and find you have to take a few off your last sets, its ok....and if five is easy just start higher.

When you can do five sets of twelve, move your hands to something lower, like a desk or bed. Build up to five sets of twelve again, and move down to pushups off a step, or floor pushups on your knees.

Keep a log, I do this with my pullups just in a very simple NotePad app. Its important for motivation and progress.

Good luck!.you can do it, its just a matter of time.

Image_thumb
255 Posts
Nov 17, 2013 11:15am
via Android

Begin the easy one to be stronger
The one on the knee are pretty easy and against a wall are easy too that's a good start

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 10:56am
via Android

Thnxx dude ...!
It is a Great help!

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 10:56am
via Android

Thnxx rari!
Thats sweet of yu to help me lyk dis!

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 10:58am
via Android

Thnxx!

Image_thumb
116 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 2:38pm
via Android

Just do a lil each set and a lot of sets each day. Also planks help and if nothing else do kneeling pushups

Icon_missing_thumb
11 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 2:41pm
via Android

Try doing them regularly. Now if you do 10 today, try to do 11 tomorrow. It helped me too

Image_thumb
70 Posts
Nov 18, 2013 6:15pm
via Android

I too cant...I can do planks for 2 mins n other power arm excercises but no pushups :/

371801_1478145090_524914939_n_thumb
3 Posts
Nov 19, 2013 4:08am
via Android

I created a workout called chestwork, and then another one called for quick shaping. These may be too advanced to start though. For you, you can try my burpee sprints exercise. (Well when you progress to standard pushups, that is. To start, check it out so you might be familar with the exercises.) Start out with plank exercises, especially burpees and squat thrusters. Work for a week, Then move on to seal pushups, which are performed on the knees rather than on your hammertoes. Use the standard pyramid formula which does sets starting at 1, then add 1 rep per set. EG a  5 sets workout looks like
Set1= 1 push up
Set 2= 2 push-ups
Set 3 = 3 push-ups
Set 4= 4pushups
Set 5 =5 pushups

Week 1 start seal push ups
Do this Every morning you wake up, and then at evening or at night starting at 5 sets, everday adding 1 set until about 7 sets;
Then start the next day start at 2 reps working your way up to 8 sets. Then start the next day at 3 working your way up the pyramid to 9.
Then start at 4 working up to 10.
Next day Repeat 4-10
Next day Repeat 4-10.
Next day rest.

Week 2
Start back at 1 and work up to 8.
Repeat pyramid 2-9,
Next day 3-10
Next day Back to 1-9,
Next day 2-10
Next day 1-10.
Next day rest.

Week 3 standard push ups
Day1
When you reach aand accomplish a 10 set pyramid on seal pushups. Start a 5 set pyramid on standard pushups, and work your way up to 10 standard. When you get to a 10 set pyramid, then your sets change.

Work a 5 set pyramid, then immediately reverse the pyramid, going from a set of 5 to a set  of 4, then 3 then 2 then 1. So your daily sets then would graduate from a 5 set up the pyramid, then a 5 set down the pyramid.
The next day
6 up and then down... etc to 10.
Pyramids to 6 and down
Next day
up to 7 and down.
Next day
up to8 and down
Next day
up to 9 and down
Next day
Up to 10 and down.
Next day Rest.

Week 4
The next day do 3 straight sets of 6 pu's.
Next day 3 straight sets of 7.
Next day 4 straight sets of 6.
Next day 4 straight sets of 7.
Next day 4 straight sets of 8.
Next day 4 straight sets of 9.
Next day 4 straight sets of 10.
Next day rest.

Week 5 and onward alternatives
Then back to pyramids starting at 10 reps working up to 13...etc.

Or

See my quick shaping workout to change it up. Use push up variants for alternatives. (Diamonds, stars, and crab pushups are my faves.)

This is an example of growing repetitions, which slowly develops your strength. This is safe and proven. Make sure to take small breaks between sets. And hydrate yourself, but dont over flood your system.
Now git to work.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51